30 August 2013

Facebook

I deactivated my Facebook account today. I'm still not sure how I feel about it. I have a very hard time with the amount of distraction it offers, and for what? I don't want to live my live in snippets and status updates.

I want to keep records for the kids, like my grandma Susie did through photos and like her mother did through journaling. The blog is a combination of both of those things, but I'm not even kidding when I say have No time to blog.Facebook is easier in that regard because it allows me to share things in very small doses. Blogger is not like that, and blog posts take time. I'm going to try to be better about it, but it means carving out time that is almost impossible to find. If I can't find the time to go to the bathroom, where will I find the time to create a post?

I'm going to try. Facebook is a source of chaos for me. It gets my mind spinning and makes me doubt myself, my decisions, my place in life, my faith, my parenting, everything that is important. They say that living by example is the best way, and the best thing I knew to do is stop seeking attention through media and to start living an authentic life without a screen in the way. I know that screens are who we are as a people now, but love isn't on a screen, and I can't hold a baby and a laptop at the same time.

I'll be back, when there is room in my life, and in my lap, once again. Until then, the blog is where I'll be documenting our simple life, unfettered by glimpses of the lives of others.

2 comments:

Lisa Marie said...

Brave and amazing decision... I will probably be doing the same thing, very soon. TOO MUCH distraction!

Love you all!

Katherine said...

Good thing I follow your blog or I'd miss my chubby twin fix. ;)

I've thought about dropping Facebook. Sometimes I'm tempted. I actually went through last week un-liking a whole bunch of stuff, not because I don't like it, but so it wouldn't clutter my feed.

Keep us posted! :)