11 September 2009

A 3-Year Retreat

The farmhouse is packed up and the doors are locked! The truck drove away last night and we'll meet it in Texas in a few weeks. We had a lovely farewell picnic last night and the girls and I came downstate late in the evening.
It's a little surreal leaving Western Maryland. Our pace of life in Allegany County has always been so slow, quiet and isolated. For me, the drive down into the Baltimore/Washington area is a little strange because I won't be able to escape back into the mountains when it's all over. I feel like we've been secluded on a retreat for the past 3 years, and now we have to readjust to the "real" world. I know that our pace of life is going to pick up a lot and I'm not really eager for that. I know that with raises and promotions comes a new way of looking at things and I'm a little wary of our "new" life in Texas. I don't want our state of mind to change with all of the changes we have ahead of us.
I'm so excited about house-hunting, furniture shopping and the big move, but I feel like in a way it does come at a cost. For me, living in the mountains is spiritual. I love the smell of the damp trees, the quiet insulation of the leaves, the early morning fog and the lightning bugs at night. My life has always had damp trees in it. I'm not sure how I'm going to adjust to the dusty warmth of Texas. Giving up the mountains feels like giving up a piece of me and that's something I'm really going to have to get through.
On the other hand, we leave in two days for our home-finding trip! Can't wait to share pictures with all of you!
In other news, at the ripe old age of 6 months, Molly is pulling up on everything and starting to climb whatever she can find. I'm in SO much trouble. As I type this, shes eating her way through a magazine rack, so I need to go!

No comments: