21 September 2011

Nervous Nellie

Claire is sleeping soundly in her bed. On her tummy. This would be a first. I'm totally freaking out. She's just barely rolling! She can't sleep on her tummy! There's a wall between us! Does the crazy mommy worry ever go away? I think I could have 1 kid or 65 kids and I'd still be a wreck over the whole "independent sleeping" thing.

Claire's crib is definitely her happy place. She's just like Mo was at this age. Perfectly happy in any setting. If she's conscious, she's grinning from ear to ear. If you hint that it might be naptime, she passes out. Put her in the crib while you find a diaper and an outfit for her? Out cold. Pick her up to move her to the swing? Grinning. Put her in the swing while you visit the facilities? Snoozing. Pick her up to move her to her crib? Grinning. Complete the transition? Knocked out again.

And did I mention she has fat rolls and red, fuzzy hair? Oh, Claire. She's just a ball of jolly squish.

Claire has started eating a tiny bowl of cereal once a day. She's almost 5 months and this kid is just dying to eat. I bought her a soft-spout sippy cup to distract her here and there and she popped it right in her mouth like a pro. Seeing my third baby so aware of exactly how things work is just mind-boggling. Not knowing a baby's capacity for learning really makes you take things for granted. On those occasions when I realize that Claire, at just 4.5 months, really understands something, it just blows me away. I think that the more kids you have, the more aware each child is. Lucy was completely led. Molly seemed to "get it" early on. Claire was born ready. The difference between the three is really something.
Well, I hear movement in the next room. That means I have to go stand next to her crib and make sure the darkness doesn't impede her ability to lift her head. I've heard of that happening. Wow, and Lucy's talking in her sleep, too...this could be quite a night.

1 comment:

Lisa Marie said...

A BALL OF JOLLY SQUISH... hehe I love it! :) She is. Don't worry... I mean, I would too so I get it...but don't worry. Claire is a big healthy beautiful baby who breathes fine. keep blankets, pillows and stuffed animals out of the crib and let her sleep on a mattress with a tight fitting sheet, she'll be just peachy. I had to do this with Benjamin because he REFUSED to stay on his back - at all- from about ...what was it- 5 wks on? He started rolling over and that was it. I'd lay him on his back and wham, he was on his tummy. I finally gave up and thought, well he put himself there, I'm pretty sure he's healthy enough to stay there. No worries- stand next to her crib, smile at her sleepy cuteness, say a guardian angel prayer for her then go to bed & trust she'll be ok :) Just my advice! that's what I had to do for #3. haha