24 September 2010

A Friendly Note

Several people have asked me about my reasons for deleting so many people from my Facebook page. In my zeal for simplification, I forgot to offer an explanation, so I'll do it now.
I got thinking while I was in Maryland. Facebook makes it so easy to keep up with your friends. But is keeping up and catching up supposed to be brief and easy? Is keeping a friend as simple as posting what you had for lunch and what irritates you about sitting in traffic? Is it okay to assume that because you posted pictures of your toddler, you're now off the hook with your long lost best friend?
I really started reflecting about just what I bring to a friendship, and what I'm neglecting in my current relationships. Facebook kept popping up as a theme. I was spending more time looking at status messages and pictures from old middle school friends than I was penning notes to my family and calling my girlfriends.
I'm really convinced that people really don't talk on the phone much anymore. I think that several of my friends would fairly turn inside out if I called just to chat. I don't know what to do about this. Do I text them first? Email? How do i even know if people are okay with the phone? How has my life become so impersonal?
So yeah, I started by cutting a lot of people. If you're reading this and wondering why you were cut and your mom wasn't, it's because I know you'll hear the relevant news from her.
I also cut out some friends and family simply to...simplify. You can find me here, and you can find a more sincere version. I think that's nice. I can't be at every social networking site at once, my blog needs to come first. It tells the story of our family, and that more important that keeping up with 300 friends. I'm down to 79 and BOY is Facebook quiet now. Makes those little checkins quick and painless!
So, in a nutshell, that's why I cut 230 "friends" from Facebook. And as soon as I have a computer again and I'm not blogging from my PHONE, I'll be able to do more with my blog! In the meantime, you get mediocre posts from my phone. Come Monday, it'll be all right...Come Monday, I'll again have wifi...

No comments: