14 January 2011

friday i'm in love with topiaries

Oh, I declare. I get into so much trouble when I'm left to my own devices. I'm in the throes of planning Lucy's party - I say "throes" because it's not just a process for me. It's a passion. Since I've been largely unsupervised this week due to Andrew's work concerns and whatnot, I took the girls to Hobby Lobby, where I told Lucy we were on a mission for pink.

She performed admirably. She squealed and giggled and screamed for pink. She even placed periods after single words at the appropriate time. As in, "Oh. My. Heavens. That. Is. So. Cute." Is it any wonder I want 50 million little girls? She was a shopping star. We found fabric for her banner, ribbons for her topiaries, plastic cups for her party-goers, favors to die for, little woven baskets to put....something in. You get the picture. We actually went to Hobby Lobby for muslin, because I figured I'd rather just buy some muslin and whip together some swaddling blankets than pay $44.95 for 4 from Aden & Anais. So thrifty. So we spent $65 and came out with FAR more than just muslin. Nearly a bargain. (See, Andrew? This is what happens when work takes the front seat for more than 36 hours.)

So anywayyy....we came home, and I settled in to cutting ribbon and chatting with Lisa on my phone. Once I realized how much work it is to build a ribbon topiary, I thought to myself, Well, I should really just order these online. But then I thought, Dude, I could make a killing selling these online. Such an entrepreneur. (yes, that's precisely how Andrew became the proud owner of 400 cookie cutters. my entrepreneurial spirit.)

All the while I'm cutting and pinning and eating Milanos, Cooper is staring at me. Cooper is the biggest mooch I've ever met in my life. (I also caught him sleeping in my bed.) He has very sad eyes and they always seem to say, "Dude, those are my fave. OMG, are you seriously not sharing? That would be a perfect portion size if you cut it in half. I can see your hips expanding. Do you really want to do that? It would probably just be better if you just gave me some. I mean, I'm not trying to judge, but you're looking huge. No, not like, HUGE huge, just kind of blubbery. Like a whale. No, like a tiny whale. But hey...what do I know? I'm a lab..." I can totally see why Cooper's whole family is admirably trim and slender. The guilt is just way too much.

It's almost Molly's bedtime. From there...I'm planning to finish my topiary - I didn't think I was going to finish tonight, because I was using straight pins instead of a glue gun. It's just ten times easier to use pins than hot glue when your kids are constantly calling you away. But I ran out of pins, so I had to dive into my enormous stash of sewing stuff to search for more. Thank goodness Grandma Susie had some in the huge pile of notions and handy-dandies she gave to me! Grandma and I will finish it together tonight, and then I'll text pictures of it to all my unfortunate friends who were not making ribbon topiaries on their Friday night. A sad state, indeed, to have plans with real people. I mean, it's actually an improvement, since I just remembered what day it was in the first place. I could be whiling away the hours with my ribbons and styrofoam and thinking it was Thursday. Or even Wednesday.

Well, there's a naked race taking place in the middle of my house. Lucy's in the lead, but  it's not for lack of trying. Molly's legs are just too short to win. And you know what naked races mean...somebody's about to pee on the carpet.

Crafty Mama...OUT.

No comments: