10 October 2010

Home Gym???

So, Andrew and I have been going around and around and around about what to do about the gym.

We both love it, but we're having a hard time tailoring the class times to our schedules, and vice versa. With another baby on the way, my energy and pain levels sort of fluctuate, and I have to work out when I feel right. We're now 25 minutes from ANY gym. I'd be willing to pay more or switch gyms, if there was one closer. I want to get back to the gym right away when baby arrives, but having a nursing baby and trying to work out takes a good amount of finesse. In addition, I can't just throw THREE kids in the jogger. And trying to work out with even two kids in the jogger is a bit of a joke. I have to stop constantly to break up squabbles, pick up dropped items, find sippy cups, etc.

So, working out is getting more difficult. The thing is, we're not sure where to go from here. We feel bad dragging the girls to the gym every evening. That's our family time and we like to spend it at home. I'm not a runner, so I get very little reward from going out early for a run. I've never been good at it and I really don't push myself at all. That said, I'm not completely ruling it out.

So where do we go from here? I'm trying to figure out if it's worth the money to spend $500 on a Spinner bike for the house, and if it'll really be used. (And that's scouring craigslist for a used one - pricey!) I feel like I'm fast approaching the point that if I'm going to work out, I'm going to have to start training myself. That seems really challenging to me. I'm also in my first trimester, so maybe I'm just not thinking clearly? I'm REALLY pooped out these days. I know that a large part of how I feel has to do with diet, and that I need to concentrate on that too, but I want to stay physically active.

Is it worth putting together a home gym? Is this a wise decision for parents of more than a couple kids? How to people with large families concentrate on fitness when the demands of taking care of kids really ramps up?

Things I love:
Spinning
Elliptical (although I get a better cardio workout on the bike)
Yoga
Weights
Tough classes - although I find with kids it's hard to do the DVDs at home when the little folks are about.

I'm also interested in P90X, IF if can give me a full body workout without plateauing too fast - I don't want to spend the money on the DVDs only to find I get in better shape and then have no use for them - are there different levels within the DVDs?

Any ideas? I'm a dedicated gym girl, but moving so far away from the gym REALLY has me befuddled. I'd love to know what people with kids think and if anyone has any ideas about how to stay dedicated with a hectic schedule and a growing family!

4 comments:

KristinD said...

What we found with P90X is that you get out what you put in. So you can make it as tough or as easy as you want or need by altering number of reps, weight amount, and position or assistance for pushups and pullups. It's one tough workout if you give it even 1/2 effort but boy are the rewards worth the work! We really liked it!

I would recommend doing some sort of elliptical or biking or walking cardio to get yourself to a fairly strong point prior to P90X...really you should be within 30 lbs of your target weight for a workout that tough...I know I couldn't do it straight off of having a baby, but if you are able to workout more during the pregnancy it may work for you. Good luck!

SpunkyToes said...

We did the 90 days for P90X. It really isn't cardio driven. You need to buy weights of progressive levels, a chin up bar and really need a yoga mat. We saw changes from the program but not like we would have if we did the diet with it. The program does have levels but they still get boring. Same thing every Wed, Same thing every Thur. It got BORING so fast. I barely made it the 90days before being more than ready to give up. I just had a really hard time with EVERY night having to do something and not getting any new stuff tossed in. I'm torn on whether I would rec it or not.

Cassie Knieriem said...

Laura, I know how much you LOVED going to the Y, so I'm sort of bummed for you. That said, a home gym would probably be a great investment... especially as you get to possible baby number 4, 5... I would definitely get a decent yoga mat and a small weight set. Those are great for quick, naptime workouts. As far as spinning, I am NOT a fan, so the thought of anyone buying a bike freaks me out! :)

And, as far as P90X goes, my husband has done it and really enjoys it. It's a quick way to work up sweat and he likes the variation. Also, he's got the DVDs and would be happy to copy them for you and I'll send them along if you're interested in giving it a try. Let me know.

Katie Evans said...

P90X is all about pushing yourself as far as you can go. It's not good for during pregnancy, when you don't want your heart rate to go up too high.

If I were in your situation, I would go for an elliptical with a lot of training levels and options so you can change things up, a few different sets of resistance bands, an exercise ball and maybe a Bosu ball and some steps. You would be surprised with all the different combos you can come up with, and don't forget a subscription to Shape Magazine! It's well-rounded with great stories, food, advice, and workouts. :)