18 November 2010

The Advent of my Insanity.

So, we needed an Advent wreath. I, of course, am too sentimental (read: cheap) to go out and buy one,  and as I have declared this to be a handmade holiday, I was determined to make a kid-friendly, whimsical, adorable Advent wreath. (read: I'm a glutton for punishment.)

So we started with salt dough. You can make just about anything with salt dough. It will NEVER break down. I promise you. It can also kill people if thrown at their heads. (I don't know that from experience. Just assuming.) And, salt dough is a holiday medium for children. Why not take it to a whole new level? That's me. Taking things to a whole new level.


 I didn't really know how to make a ring, so after consulting with my colleague Lisa, I decided on a cake pan and a bowl. Easy peasy.



 We rolled foil into little logs and measured them against the candles.


After some dedicated smooshing and pushing and patting, it was finished. The Advent Spaceship. At this point I decided the entire idea was positively ludicrous and attempted to call Grandma, because I really don't know anyone who appreciates the humor in the perils of parenting more than she does. 


I trimmed the top like "so," and then popped it into the oven for a quick bake. 4 hours at 300. Yipes. In the middle of the baking, I decided that the stupid wreath was never going to come out of the pan. I re-consulted with Lisa. We decided that Advent and extra-terrestrials go together just fine. I'd just be down a cake pan for the remainder of my life. 


 Something tells me that creating an advent wreath should not involve bad language. I just hope God knows me well enough to understand that it's not Advent that frustrates me so much as a failed plan. After much yelling, grunting, banging and ouching, the wreath popped out of the pan. Hooray! 


 And of course you need greenery to go with your wreath. So I made holly leaves. These are-mid painting.


 On the outside of the wreath, I painted a quote by Pope Benedict about Advent. "Awaken memories of happiness...open the doors of hope." Awww!


 And then we hot glued our "greenery" on top of the wreath.


I know, I know...death by cuteness is a very good way to go. 
So, yes. Our first Advent wreath. I'd imagine we'll graduate to something a bit more refined when we're wealthy and we have three Christmas trees, but for now, salt dough it is. It was a bit of an undertaking, but it's got more whimsy than my living room and family room combined, and Christmas is nothing if not whimsical!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Okay - make sure you email those pictures to your mom's phone, cuz Grandma, your mom and I are going to have quite the chuckle over this in the morning! It really did turn out sooo cute! And I know Lucy and Molly will love the thing FOREVER! I still have a soft spot in my heart for that hand painted (albeit slightly tacky) Nativity my mom had us create when I was a bit older than Lucy. sigh...
Love you all!
Brooke

Nina said...

I love it and am soooo jealous!!!!

Lacy @ Catholic Icing said...

First I wanted to say I'm sorry about the loss of your Grandma. It's times like this that I'm so grateful for my faith! Also, this advent wreath is stinkin' adorable! What a great idea! I'm not running an advent wreath round up this year, but I'm going to post this link over on Catholic Icing's facebook page. God bless! My prayers are with you and your family!

Vallimasoos said...

Just beautiful!!

Anonymous said...

I absolutely love this!! We are going to have to try this. Is there a speific salt dough recipe you recommned??