28 July 2011

Can you help?

I am in turmoil. As if that's anything new. I can explain.

We're working on our kitchen. It has a couple things going for it, but not many. I have a budget tgh size of my pinkie finger, and loads of determination. Here's what we're working with:
At this moment, the kitchen looks like this. The behemoth in the foreground is a built in china cabinet. We plan to take it out in a c0ouple of years and create a more open floorplan, but for now, it's here to stay. We're planning to refinish the cabinets and the china cabinet with Rust-Oleum Cabinet Transformations in a glazed white. It'll be white, but a little country/casual. We're going to use either rubbed nickel or oil-rubbed bronze hardware. See the greenstrip right there? That will be a chocolatey -gray, which will wrap into the dining room.



This is the counter top. Black, white, rusty red and a touch of blue-green.


Here is the backsplash - I don't mind the tile decor, but I'm not crazy about it. Anything I can do to make it look like we want it there would be great. The paint sample is a greeny-blue and matches the blue in the granite. I liked the idea of pulling the blue out of the granite as a paint color, but now I'm having second thoughts and I'm afraid it'll be too busy and won't make much sense.


Here is the other side of the kitchen. That hideous black appliance is a trash compactor. Blech. We plan to replace it with a second ice-maker, as this is Texas and our fridge ice maker really isn't keeping up. The hole in the cabinets will either get a cute curtain to hide small appliances, or we'll replace everything on that side with one big door to have a normal-sized pantry. Andrew likes the former, I like the latter.

All of our appliances are stainless, if that makes any difference.

Here is the other side of the kitchen. It's basically empty and not-so-full of potential at the time being. We plan to move the fridge to the corner where you can see the washer hookup peeking out, and add on another counter/cabinet next to it with a butcher block/stainless top. We're hoping that by moving the fridge the rest of the room will open up and it won't feel so tight in that corner. Ideally we'll have a breakfast nook and access to the screened porch where we can do brunch and other fantastic food-centered things. Right behind that folded up ladder you can just barely see the door to the HVAC, so we can't move the wall around without dealing with a ton of other issues. So, it stays.

So tell me. What color would you paint the walls? I'm planning to do crown molding in the long run, but I still have to figure in the space above the cabinets where the ductwork runs. I hate it.

Please help. My nerves are frayed and my paint samples are crumbling.

5 comments:

Amanda Dierling said...

I like the greeney-blue...it will add a little color after you paint the cabinets white and pull the color out of the counter tops and backsplash. I am a fan of color though...Home Depot sells those paint samples too, so after you do the cabinets you can paint swatches on the walls and see what looks good.

Jennifer Merkel said...

I still think a Colonial blue, since your cabinets will be white. You can do a lot of nice accents with that.
Just my taste though.

Tricia said...

What about covering your backsplash with beadboard? Like Nester did here http://www.thenester.com/2010/08/making-over-a-renters-kitchen.html

Frome experience I know that true beadboard is expensive but if you go to Lowes or the Depot and get paneling that looks like beadboard it's a lot cheaper!

Or you could paint the tile like here: http://www.ecabonline.com/2010/04/painting-kitchen-tile.html maybe even just paint the little tiles? that doesn't sound tedious!!!!

I think once you paint the cabinets you are definitely going to want some color in the backsplash area.

I like the idea of pulling the blue/greenish color out of the granite but don't think it will "go" with the current tile situation.

I like your idea better of the pantry. I have an area to keep my small appliances and I hate it. i would much rather have a nice big pantry!!!

Emily said...

I would use the chocolately-gray all the way through. If you're aiming for an open plan in the long run you'll be glad things are the same color. Plus the fewer color changes that are visible from any one point, the larger and more continuous your space looks. Definitely go for one big pantry - small appliances can find a home in there if necessary, what's the difference? And the white cabinets are a brilliant idea. That's my 2 cents :)

Laughter is an instant vacations (Milton Berle) said...

Hardware in the kitchen- if it's not too grimy (or cleanable by soaking in an oxy-clean solution) get some rustoleum metal-adhering spray paint. Paint all of the hardware a cohesive color, and then it'll add to your modern country-ish kitschy kitchen look. Since your appliances are stainless, I'd suggest a pewter that offsets the white cabinets nicely, and will complement the countertop as well. As you may have found, hardware is EXPENSIVE especially when you're dealing with so many pieces!
Bathroom- ever think about painting the walls a blue-grey? Moreso grey, but not too dark. Then just stick to a solid color rug combo, but add the blue & colors to match the decorative tile in the accessories & towels.
Hole in kitchen cabinet area- if you don't like the flowy look of a curtain, grab a couple of hinges and get your handy man to cut out a couple of doors for that area. Or pick up some from Home Depot, Lowes, thrift store, Goodwill, etc and since you're already painting the cabinets it'll end up matching, and it'll look more cohesive for a longer time. Curtain would be the fastest solution though.