07 May 2012

Oh, Grandma...you little stinker!

When we got pregnant with Lucy, Grandma Susie and Grandpa Dick were the first people we told. The first thing she said was, "Oooh, I knew it! I was having vibrations! I'll bet it's twins. I'm going to start praying right away." It was one baby.

When we got pregnant with Molly, Grandma Susie said, "I'm praying for twins!" One baby.

When we got pregnant with Claire, Grandma said, "You know I'm praying for twins!"

Grandma never got to meet Claire, as she passed on about 5 months before Claire was born. Again, one baby.

When I had a no-good, very bad, terrible, horrible week a few weeks ago, I decided on April 22nd that something was wrong and that I should take a pregnancy test. Grandma and Grandpa's 50th anniversary.

On Monday morning, the test jumped to "pregnant" immediately. All I could think was, "twins." I thought it over and over and over. Every time we told someone we were expecting, I said, "Oh, and pray for twins. I'm pretty sure Grandma made sure it's twins." Andrew kept telling me "stop saying that!"

Last night I was having some weird, sharp pains so I called my OB first thing this am. I got in right away for a sonogram and the first thing she said was, "Do you see what I see? Baby A....heartbeat....Baby B....heartbeat...twins!" When you're not trying, one baby is a miracle. 2 babies is something entirely other-worldly.

Talk about having pull with the Big Guy. This just confirms for me what I was hoping for all along. Grandma's in Heaven, she sees us, and she loves us very much. Her promise to pray for us is so evident in the little miracles that happen to us every day. Grandma loved life and she REALLY loved babies. I'm pretty sure that when God thought this one up, he said, "Hey Susie, how can we make this one really good?" and she replied, "How about two?"




No comments: