15 June 2012

Okay, Friday...you got me.

We were out the door at 7:45 this morning. We ran off to WalMart to get some shopping done, and Andrew called as we were walking into the store and said, "You haven't bought anything for dinner yet, right? Our company just canceled." Which is actually a good thing, because the morning just took off like a shot and I'm pretty sure that this family, rally though we often do, is not prepared to have the house presentable and dinner on the table by 6.

$171 later, we arrived home and Claire started opening drawers while I unpacked the groceries. As I walked in with the last of the bags, I noticed that she was crying (not unusual) and bleeding (also not really that unusual). This blood, however, was EVERYWHERE. So who do I call? Lucy, of course. She keeps it together around here. I yell, "Lucy! She's bleeding all over the kitchen! Clean up the blood and tell me what to do!" Lucy jumps into action wiping up blood while she directs me to "make it stop." (See??)

I figure out that all of the blood is coming from a cut on her thumb and that she must have done it on a food processor attachment that was at the back of the drawer she was playing in. I went with the old, "Blood always looks worse than it really is" mantra and wrapped her hand in a kitchen towel. When I unwrapped it a few minutes later, her hand was still gushing. I don't know why the harrowing accidents always happen right when we walk in the door. Lucy's concussion? Same story.

So I wrappped the hand back up and stuck a rubber glove over it to hold it in place, as Home Slice was NOT about to let me tape up her hand, and I figured the rubber glove would confound and entertain her on the drive to urgent care. It actually worked pretty well and the urgent care staff praised my ingenuity. (I'm o not making that up.)

We walk in and try as I might to explain it's really just a thumb, the triage nurse see the blood everywhere and whisks us away to be sewn up. Assuming the authorities are going to show up with lights flashing due to my letting a child play with sharp blades, I'm feeling queasy. Luckily, everyone was kind and quick and after several doctors conferred about the very deep and gross cut on Claire's thumb, it was decided that no stitches would be given. They put some steri-strips on it and wrapped it up, with directions to put a sock on it and tape it when we got home. I was going to do that before her nap, but she crashed so hard that I'll worry about it at bedtime. They also want her on antibiotics to make sure that it doesn't get infected, as her age sort of lends itself to less than clean healing.

SO, $111 later, I am home with major babyproofing supplies and will be helping Andrew celebrate Father's Day by keeping his kids alive. I figure with two on the way it'll make it easier to just have baby locks on every single thing we own, right?

1 comment:

Carol said...

What is it about Friday?? It always seems to be a crazy day. Well, look forward to tomorrow night when you won't have to worry about your house or your dinner!!