17 February 2011

Tiny Things

I saw this post this morning and it really struck a chord with me. So many tiny things in my life. Nothing I do is "big." I don't make big sales, I don't have big meetings, I don't make a big commute every morning, I don't work in a big building...

My life is so, so small. Tiny people, tiny shoes, tiny bows, tiny voices, tiny kisses, tiny hands, tiny projects, tiny beds, tiny words. It can be so hard to think big with so much "tiny" around me.

I'm not a small person. I talk big, think big, laugh big, plan big, dream big and love big. My life has always been bigger than I deserve. Making the move to tiny was a little difficult at first. My first year of tiny was a little like entering a silent convent without a prayerful decision to do so. I felt so trapped and tired.

But with the help of the women who've gone before me, tiny became so much more fulfilling than I could ever put into words. We make small steps around here now, but every moment is so delicious and filling. I don't have to be big to everyone else now, because I'm larger-than-life to my tiny people. And let's face it. Life is pretty sweet when your boss believes every word you say and thinks you can move mountains.

Today we're going to put on tiny clothes, sit in tiny carseats, play with tiny friends and flip on tiny gym equipment. It doesn't matter to anyone but us. Nobody really cares that three more kids are out there in the world, but He notices. He sees what tiny can bring to a marriage, and what small can do for the hearts of strangers. I know that when Andrew and I kiss in the glow of their nightlight when we watch them sleep, He sees what He has created and knows how good it is. The tiny in our life is bringing us closer to each other, sealing our vocation and giving us a visible sign of our love. When our love feels big, we have more to offer to the world around us. And that, indeed, is very, very BIG.

1 comment:

Lisa Marie said...

This is the most beautiful post ever... I love it! :) and I love you! thanks for the reminder to be so grateful for the tiny things in life... that make it all worthwhile. This post is like a Mother's explanation of Mother Teresa's quote: "We can do no great things, only small things with great love." ;) wonderful!