17 June 2011

Today started rough.

I'll be honest. I was a mess this morning. We're back on our cash budget as most of our visitors are gone and we're about to be incredibly house-poor, so we're watching every dime until things cool off. We're okay with that. We're thrilled about the house, but things will be tight until we're on the "new" schedule of paying bills, getting things switched over, paying for all of these professionals and inspectors and surveys, etc.

I got our cash out of the bank last night and when I arrived home, an important bill was waiting in the amount of about $65. I was immediately BUMMED. I hadn't budgeted for it, I didn't want to use grocery money for it, and it needed to be paid before I forgot about it. And of course, it's the one place that only takes cash. So I spent this morning moping and whining to my mother. I'm sure she had better things to do, but we whine to our mommies forever, don't we?

I decided that I would just use my cash, pay the bills and let the chips fall where they may. It was a terrible moment for me, realizing that our date tomorrow afternoon (which never happens...) was essentially going to be a free one. I rounded up all of my chickens and put them in the car. 100 degrees. Three carseats. Dying. I called my mom as I pulled out of the driveway, because it had been about 20 minutes since I'd last whined to her. As I hung up with her, I thought, maybe some music will improve my mood. I hit the button for our favorite oldies station, and heard, "Even though we ain't got money, I'm so in love with you honey..."

And I started to cry, because I knew it was once again a sign that when your perspective is off, everything can seem tragic. Oh Loggins and Messina....you rascals. I started thinking about all of those "free dates" we went on in college, sitting in the grass somewhere kissing and leaving (some) room for the Holy Spirit, laughing at people as we walked down Main Street, munching on a cheap piece of pizza while it snowed, enjoying just existing in a very small world together. And then I remembered that I found my Which Wich card last week and I'm due for a free sandwich! Sweet. So tomorrow we'll hit the antique mall and dream a little, split a free sandwich and people watch, find somewhere to kiss (I mean, isn't there always room for the Holy Spirit??) and just spend a little time enjoying all those things that brought us together in the first place. Well, except my flat tummy. You can't enjoy something that's been missing for 5 years. 

(NOT that my flat tummy was what brought us together, Mom. He didn't even know I had a belly button for three years! He just knew it looked very nice in a shirt. Yes, I dodged that one completely.)

And it turns out, I got more change back from paying my bill than I was expecting. Maybe we'll get a drink with that sandwich after all! My mood has improved so much since this morning, and I'm back on track. What's a few weeks of penny-pinching when you're staring down the barrel of your dream house?

And believe me you, if this thing doesn't go through in the end, we're going out on a not-so-free date!

No comments: