09 September 2007

"So Are You Ready For Another?"

Why do people always ask this question. As if it's any of their business in the first place. This question always irks me, as if the first baby wasn't quite good enough. Now we need another?!?

Lucy WILL have siblings. I had always seen myself with a huge number of kids. I also didn't realize how emotionally draining it is to have kids. I think I thought I'd love Lucy like I love my brothers. Now I understand that being a mother completely consumes you 100% of your day, and that "having a ton of kids" is much easier said than done. Not that I wouldn't love a whole boatload of children- I just didn't realize that you get so wrapped around these people.
Now, we are not sure what our final number will be. We'd love to give Lucy everything we can, to make her a full and dynamic person. I want her to see so many things and experience so much. I think every parent goes through the question of whether you should have just one or two and really show them the world, or if you should have a whole bunch and show them how a family is supposed to be. I know that Lucy is here to set the world on fire, and that my hands are very full with her. She's a little firecracker, she has an amazing determination and astounding intelligence, and she's so aware. She has a little temper that will need to be tamed, but we can work on that. She's only 4 months old, after all. I do know that Lucy was born to accomplish things. Some children are born to veterinarians. Some are born to be teachers. Lucy was born to take over the world. When she was born, they lifted her over the curtain and she looked all around, inspecting everything, and finally her eyes landed on us with a look that said, "Well, ok, you'll do. Just stay out of my way!"
We're just so amazed by her. I do know that being pregnant right now wouldn't be the best for me. I need to miss the baby stage to truly get excited about it again. I would like to have Lucy walking and talking before I'm pregnant again. We'd like to have Andrew's master's out of the way, and possibly be moving into a bigger place, although we could definitely do another child in this place if we needed to. It's hard to say. All I know is that right now, we're very happy just us three. Ready for another. Ha. I've never heard that from someone who has had the pleasure of a full 24 hours with Little Red!

3 comments:

Jennifer Merkel said...

Yep, she is going o accomplish things all right but I don't imagine she is going to let a couple of siblings stand in her way! She'd just bring them into line like the rest of the world. Siblings have a very interesting effect... Ask Brendan!

Anonymous said...

No Kidding! What are people thinking when they ask a new parent that? "Oh, yes! I'd just love a set of triplets by the end of the year!" Come on!

Anonymous said...

haha you guys, we always get asked when are we going to stop...alas it seems as if one is not enough and more then two is literally to much!! Hope all is well, Lucy is such a cutie!