28 January 2008

A Letter from Daddy

Dear Lucy,
You will undoubtedly read this beautiful blog that your mother works diligently on to document the daily joys you bring to our young family. As you peruse the posts, you will notice that my written communications are limited. As you grow, you will learn that I am exceedingly judicious with my choice of words and indeed when to speak/write at all. Please do not misinterpret this as a reflection of how strongly I feel about you.

Aside from your mother, nothing has brought me greater joy in my entire life. Your mother & you are at the cornerstone of why I leave the house while you & your mother as just getting up and frequently do not return until the sun is setting upon these striking Appalachian Mountains. Those minutes that I get to hug you while you are still sleepy & cuddly in the mornings are the highlight of each of my days. In fact, I have been late for work intentionally on days where you have slept in a little so that I could hold you. At work, pictures of your beautiful smiles adorn the office walls and computer background. Daily I find myself staring longingly at them wishing I was spending time at home having fun with the two of you. Moreover, your mother emails me pictures of your adorable accomplishments.


Your mother asked me the other day, “What is your favorite thing that she does right now?” You just started crawling a few weeks ago, so you have been doing some exceptionally hysterical things lately. After a considerable amount of thought, I responded the funny faces that you make as you smoosh your charming face on the mesh sides of the pack-n-play cribs scattered in each room of this apartment. Your mom snapped candid pictures of you doing this and they are just simply precious, like you. Running a close second is when you nap for hours at a time on our chests. Feeling your warm little body and little heartbeat is utterly breathtaking.



I promise to write again soon, perhaps upon celebrating your 365th day (which others, less interesting, would simply call your 1st birthday)! I can only imagine the festivities that your mother will plan (and has already began planning)!

Thank you for the joys you have brought thus far to our lives. You are a miracle. Our redheaded miracle.

LUVYA,
Dad

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Aw! That is beautiful Andrew!

I used to write letters and print them out for Meg and Maddy when they were babies too! Now Jim and I like to tuck an I LOVE YOU note in their lunches with a special treat even though I say I Love You upon waking, leaving for school, seeing them first thing after school, and a bedtime (and any time in between).

Lucy is a lucky little girl to have such a thoughtful daddy.

They grow up fast...way too fast!

Love you all,
Tammy

Melissa said...

That was the sweetest thing EVER!!!

Suzzy said...

that almost made me CRY! beautiful, andrew...you little sentimental cutiepants.