25 January 2008

Whew, I need to update!

Lots going on around here! Namely, the YMCA Gym Crisis of 2008. See below:

Dear Mr. Thompson,
I am writing today with a very serious grievance.
I am a young, local mother with an 8-month-old daughter. In considering a gym, we wanted a place with childcare. We decided to sign up for a trial membership at the Riverside YMCA and found that it had everything we were looking for in a gym. Our daughter loves playing with the other children and I love the hour a day I can spend working out and getting a short break from the daily grind.
Before our two-week membership ended, I decided to test the babysitting service to make sure that our daughter was safe there. I sent a friend who does not use the babysitting service to pick her up without my permission. I asked her not to use our daughter's name and to pretend that she didn't know which diaper bag was ours. Imagine my surprise when my friend came back into the locker room with my daughter!! My friend walked right in, pointed to my daughter and picked her up- no questions asked! She was even given help finding the right diaper bag! Furthermore, she was given assistance in signing my daughter out with no problem at all.
I immediately went to management. I was told by the executive director, Greg Thompson, that he "really didn't know how they did things" in the babysitting room as far as security went. I left feeling disappointed and sick.
I later received a call from a second manager, Shelly Minnigh, who assured me that this probably happened because I wasn't a paying member, and that they had no "real process" for children of trial members. I was told that the best thing to do would be to leave my trial membership receipt with a care provider and get it back when I picked my child up. She told me that paying members' family pictures are put into a book, and the pictures are compared EVERY time a child is dropped off and picked up. I have seen many children dropped off and picked up, and have never seen such a book
I called two of my paying-member friends and was discouraged by their experiences as well. One friend knew of the book and hadn't seen it used "in a very long time" and another friend had never had a family picture taken, had never seen a book and said that she has forgotten to sign her child in or out on more than one occasion with no problem.
I am so glad I decided to test the security measures (or lack thereof) at the Riverside YMCA. I will not be purchasing a membership at this time. My daughter's safety is my number one priority, and I can't put her in any situation where I have to worry about her disappearing. Would I consider a membership, should security measures change? Absolutely. I've found the Y to be welcoming and wonderful for my entire family.
My husband and I want to see concrete action taken to see that the children's room is made a safer place for every single child who uses the room. Any parent should be happy to be asked to comply with stricter security measures. There are so many security measures that can be taken to protect the children of our community. There are card swipes, fingerprint devices, bracelets and "pick-up lists" to start. Any gym or care provider should make security its number one priority. A broken treadmill is so easy to repair in a day. A family who loses a child never heals.
In addition I am requesting a sincere reply to this letter and notification when the Riverside YMCA brings its security to a higher standard. Thank you very much.

Sincerely,
Mrs. Laura Cooke


More of my update letter. I hear that sweet wail coming from across the house...sigh. Naps are never long enough!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

My, oh, my!! We are so glad you guys are so on top of things. Babies and older children need so much protection these days. I'm so impressed with the "sting" (ha!) you pulled off. That place is going to be covering their behind a bit closer from now on, I think (hope!). Your letter to them was excellent. Let's hope they tighten up security all the way around.
Love you guys lots! God bless.
Grandma Susie

dugmel said...

Wow! Scary stuff...I hope you get the right answers and they change their ways..they certainly are not being responsible...makes you wonder where else they are being lax...A exec. director who does not know procedures and policies??perhaps a little press alert might wake them up? I would also send the letter to the Board of Directors and attend that meeting....is the babysitting service licensed by the state? You might look into that...Thankfully our little Lucy is safe!
Aunt Linnie

Anonymous said...

That is APPALLING! I cannot believe they would try to dismiss the situation simply because you're not a "full member." Did you pay them money to use their gym? Yes! Did they agree to take responsibility for your child? Yes! Completed membership or not, they are certainly the ones in error, and should be bending over backwards to make their environment safer AND THANKING YOU for bringing it to their attention. When I bring Nate to the gym, they watch me sign him in - including which parts of the gym I will be using, in case of emergency - and put my driver's license on file under his name. They know me and many other members by both face and name, but everyone follows the same protocol, no exceptions. (Clearly, I feel very passionately about this situation.)

Please let me know how things work out, and GOOD FOR YOU!! You're my hero.

Love, Katie

Anonymous said...

Laura,

Yes, they are not in compliance as far as security and child protection! Amazing.
Even at SHS we make sure we release students to parents by verifying names, etc. I make sure my assistant follows proper protocol...Very scary!!!!
It takes so little time to confirm a persons identity. They are so liable for their inadequate/non-existent childcare safeguards.
Hopefully now your letter will make a difference.
Keep us updated. You should never have to worry about your children's welfare if there are proper procedures in place and followed without error.
Love,
Tammy (Grandma)

Anonymous said...

That is ridiculous and so scary! To think that anyone could walk in and select any child they want and be granted permission to take the child with no ID is frightening. I wouldn't set foot back there, regardless of an apology. They should provide the same security measures for the children of non-members/potential customers that members are provided. Good for you for checking it out and the letter is great. Curious to see what the response is. THANK GOODNESS LUCY IS SAFE!

Kandi said...

Geez! That's crazy. Let me know if they contact you back. I'm very curious. I can't believe they weren't more eager to right the situation. You should write a letter to the editor at the times-news!!!