30 June 2010

Bacon.

Today started out very ordinary. Then I opened the garage door at 7am. Standing on my sidewalk was a nice girl named Ashely, who was obviously out for an early-morning walk with her baby. At her feet was a piglet. I squealed and said, "Is it yours?!" right as she asked, "Is he yours??"

Out comes the dog crate. And out comes the girl who has penned many a sheep in her day, angling the SuperYard just so, to corral him into the garage. Thank goodness I have livestock experience. We made him right at home with some apples and a few pieces of dry cereal.

Now, piggies are smart. Pot-bellied piggies are even smarter. We were on borrowed time before he figured out how to ride my bike to Walmart with Molly in the trailer. So we made lots of calls and checked on him every so often. Thankfully, a lady drove up around noon and said, "Is that my pig?!?"

I looked at her like, "Could it be anyone else's? We're in a flipping subdivision!'

So little Bacon (his given name...whatever...) went home with Mommy and the farm closed down just in time for lunch and naps. That was enough pet fun for me for one day...

And Ashley and I are going to take the kiddies out walking on Friday morning! Fab!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

THAT story made my day! And the kiddos got a laugh out of it, too. I could use your livestock handling skills this summer now that Rachel has joined horse 4H. I know it's not the same as wrangling pigs and sheep, but you'd be better at it than me. :) Rachel loves Bacon the pig and is sad you couldn't keep him.