10 April 2008

Walking With Lucy

Well, Andrew's truck had to go to the shop first thing this morning, so we got to sleep a little later than usual, since we had to wait til the shop opened. Lucy and I drove to the shop and then Andrew took our car and we took off with the jogger. It's not a very long walk home and I wanted to get some good exercise before the day warmed up. I packed bananas and a breakfast cookie for Lucy, and she just munched away while we walked. She's such an agreeable little thing.

We found ourselves at the top of Timber Ridge, which is the nicest development in Frostburg. As I walked, I found myself wishing away for a giant house with a beautiful view. But then I started to think about these big, new houses and how sad they must be. As I'm walking on a sunny morning in April, the houses and their green lawns are sitting empty. Their owners cannot afford to live in them unless they have two incomes supporting them. The children are sent to school as it's getting light. These homes that are built for families never even see them. The big, green lawns should have children running on them all day long.

So I started thinking about everything I have. I have a spacious 3-bedroom apartment that's filled with giggling all day long. I have a husband who is the center of my sweet baby's world, who provides for us and still makes plenty of time to play. I have food on my table and a phone that rings constantly. I have a big, soft bed that holds two happily married (and exhausted) people every night. I have a dining room with bananas on the walls and stains on the chairs. I don't have a wraparound deck, but I do have Lucy's fat little arms wrapped around my leg.

With all of this househunting, we've seen a lot lately. I know that our house is out there and we'll run across it eventually. We already have a home, so I'm not in a rush.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

What an awesomely beautiful blog entry. Your family is truly blest right where you are, and it is so heartwarming to read this entry. There is a season for everything in life, and in God's timing you will be blest will all your needs and desires. He gives so much to those who are faithful.
Have a great rest-of-the-day.
Love you,
Grandma and Grandpa H.

Jennifer Merkel said...

And that, my dear, is the key to happiness. You are blooming right there in an apartment with an adorable little redhead and the future mayor!
God Bless you all!

Jen E. said...

great post! those are WONDERFUL things to feel grateful for! you made me feel appreciative for all that I have too, thank you!

Melissa said...

That is such a sweet post. You're right about enjoying your time with Lucy. There are times I wish that we were in a position to be able to have me stay home. I am jealous of all your time with your daughter. And I'm glad you found some perspective (and peace) with the house hunting thing.

Anonymous said...

You hit the nail on the head there Laura! HOME is what's important, not so much a house. And you're right - your house is out there. Dan and I looked at soooo many houses it dorve us nuts! And then one day we were driving around, and lo and behold, there was a For Sale sign in front of a cute little house. 12 years later it's now our home. I feel a little sad now that we've got it all fixed up we're thinking about moving out where the kids can have more outside space (yeah, and Dan can have a big shop). Hey! Maybe our house could be your home?!? Just kidding! Although Rachel would LOVE to have either Lucy or Lilly close by to play with - and even out the boy/girl cousin ratio.
Don't fret about the house - God has it on hold for you - and you'll be thrilled when it finally presents itself. For now, wrap those little Lucy arms around your legs and enjoy a home filled with love.
Love, Brooke and all