08 April 2008

Workin' 5 to 5....to midnight.

I am incredibly busy these days. I also gained a pound back, and I have no idea how. Like I have a second to eat.
You know it's bad when you think to yourself, "If I buckle Lucy into the carseat and start the car, she'll think were going somewhere and I can sew for 5 minutes! And if I take her somewhere, that'll give me another 5 on the back side!" Yes, I spent my ten minutes in the car this morning. What with being sick and everything, I am a little backed up on things around here!
I feel like I'm kind of at a dead end with these t-shirts. And maybe I'm not. We have about 5 orders a week, each shirt about $20 - $25. So while we're staying busy and making a little money, I feel like we've hit a wall. I'm just not sure where to go from here, and I'm really crunched for time. I told my mom I was thinking about reigning it in right now and not doing it for awhile. She just channeled her Inner Rarity and exclaimed "Oh, good heavens!" I'm not sure what she meant by that.

I have a few choices:
- Advertise like crazy and try to get business really rolling. I'd have to find care for Lucy a couple of times a week so that I could sew, or perhaps I could move to machine work. The reason I'm able to charge for the shirts is the handstitching. I'm not sure what would happen if I moved away from that. I'm also not sure where to advertise from here.
-Slow things down completely and take orders one at a time and start a waiting list, so that I'm not up sewing every single night.
- Come back to it when Lucy's in school.

I am now on antibiotics for my sinus-what-have-you. I am one sick puppy. Hopefully the z-pack will clear things up- I don't have time to be sick!

2 comments:

Jen E. said...

i know what you mean. In a different way, but I can relate. I am a part time photographer, but it is SO tiring to be both a SAHM mom and then also a photographer! So, I do feel I am going to have to make some decisions about my business. I either need to really need to go for it, and start advertising more, and marketing and then working MORE! OR, I need to cool it, and cut back for now and maybe revisit my business in a few years. Ahh. the choices of motherhood!
Good luck in your decision!

Anonymous said...

Here is an "Inner Rarity" thought: Do you HAVE to do any of this right now? If you have to, seems striking a happy medium would be best. You'll figure out what that is.
If you don't HAVE to do any of this right now, then put it off until Lucy is a bit older and at a better age for being apart from you a couple of days a week.
Just an "ex-MaMa", Grandma suggestion.
Hugs! Grandma Susie