13 August 2009

How Very Blessed

Do you have any idea just how blessed you are? As you read these words, someone out there loves you. And needs you. And wishes they could see your smile. Such a powerful, healing and simple thought, isn't it?

What's going wrong today?

Okay. Now what's REALLY going wrong today? I thought as much.

Molly has been such a little cranky pants for the past two days. But, oh, that loud, crazy cry. I love hearing it. I really do. A big, noisy sign of life in a little girl who thinks her life is crumbling.

Lucy is 2 and a half, and she's into everything. but every single exasperating thing she does is followed up with a contrite "I'm sorry, Mommy!" and a big smile. There's absolutely nothing she could do to keep me from loving her from head to toe for just about every minute of the day.

Andrew is physically incapable of picking up his laundry. I know it's because his arms were tragically lost, but...wait. What?? He still has his arms?? Hm. Very interesting. I suppose it could be worse. I'd rather lie in bed with him at night knowing his clothes are all over the floor than sleep alone.

Grandma is about to go into surgery. I'm such a mess of worry and fear, but I suppose I know deep down that she's safely in God's hands. Last night I went to the theater and saw Julie and Julia alone. It was so nice. At one point, Meryl Streep as Julia Child pulled out a set of metal measuring cups, just like Grandma's. Grandma's measuring cups are so dented and old, but every time I see them I get a big whoosh of memory and love. Memories of sitting under the pull-out cutting board, kneading bread and drinking milk out of the measuring cups. The milk would make the metal so cold and it tasted ten times better out of those measuring cups. I don't know what Grandma thinks of when she pulls them out. She probably just measures. What I wouldn't give for another drink of milk right now. I wish I could make cookies with Grandma right now. I think I might fly out there soon and do that. She's been in the hospital for a couple weeks now and it stinks because I can't just dial her up and chat. Soon enough, she'll be home again and I can make that call.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

If grandma reads this post before she goes into surgery she won't have any liquid left in her...it will be all cried out in tears of happiness. I'm sure she would love to have you come and make cookies, and Lucy and Molly could experience drinking out of the measuring cups, too!
We're all praying for successful surgery today.
-Aunt Brooke and all

Anonymous said...

Laura, will say a prayer for your grandma.

Childhood memories are so special aren't they? I love to hear Meghan and Maddie's even though they've only lived 12 and 11 years respectively.

My girls have awesome memories, and are still making memories, of baking and cooking with Nana, and weekly sleepovers.

Wish I had that when I was growing up!

I hope you can make a trip to see your grandma.

Love,
Tammy