29 August 2009

Peace is Wonderful

Lucy fell asleep at 5:30. I'll pay for it in the morning, I'm sure, but in the meantime I'm going to enjoy the quiet. Andrew took Mo out for a walk in the backpack, so things around here are perfectly peaceful.

So, yes, we're moving to Cowtown. I'm really, really excited. True, we just unpacked here at the farm, but I'll just think of it as a summer home and move on. We're going to be getting rid of a LOT of furniture and stuff and taking this move as an opportunity to really start fresh and have some great adventures. This was a totally unexpected move and we've only known of it for the past few weeks. We got a call on a Thursday and had the interview on that following Monday, followed by a job offer on that Wednesday. It's been a complete whirlwind, but we're excited about this next step. Andrew would never publicly admit it, but it's a great career opportunity for him and he's really excited about the stuff he'll be working on and the things he'll be learning. I'm so proud of this big post-MBA jump and I feel like he's really coming into his own where his work is concerned.

Tomorrow we're showing the farmhouse to a couple of people in the hopes that we can help our landlord get someone in here as soon as possible. I'm almost positive that one of the two will want it, as everyone who saw it on the last round asked to rent it. It's a really fun place with so much space to spread out and have fun.

I suppose I really don't have to add here how relieved I am that our house sold itself last month and we're free and clear. God really does work in mysterious ways, doesn't He? We're in the process of house-hunting out in Fort Worth and we're hoping to find a nice, newer place with a little bit of extra space for the girls. It seems like the houses are REALLY small there, from what we've seen. Maybe that just has to do with keeping the houses a bit smaller to keep them cool. I have no idea. It seems like the square footage is lacking in most of the places we're seeing online, so I'll be anxious to see what an agent can tell us. Andrew has a meeting with his relocation person on Monday, so we'll know more then about going out for a home-finding trip in the next couple of weeks.

Lucy is really excited about "Texas," even though she has no idea what Texas is. I'm a little nervous about having to move her again so soon. I have absolutely no signs that it will be difficult, as she's a breeze to do just about anything with, but I feel bad uprooting her just as she's realizing that the farmhouse is home. She's been back and forth and East and West so many times this summer that she just HAS to be a little confused and exhausted. She's been nothing but an angel about the entire thing. Lucy is by far the sweetest and most patient kid I've ever met. She loves to just go and go and go and is always so amiable and willing to please. I'm going to do everything I can to make sure that this move is all about HER. Andrew and I have always tried so hard to make our marriage and our parenting run neck and neck, but we really do need to put Lucy and Molly first through all of this. Molly is a little dream and I'm SO glad that we're moving two and not one. Lucy really looks to Molly for routine now and they're becoming friends so fast. I never really realized how important it was for kids to have siblings until I saw the calming effect Molly has on Lucy. "Safety in numbers," as they say. I think it'll be nice to have an "extra" along in Molly as the three of us get our bearings in a new city. Molly is frequently our comic relief and she's endlessly entertaining for all of us. I'm so glad we have her. What a peach.

Well, I should get back to my porch sweeping. Our first visitor will be here around noon tomorrow, so we need to get this place looking awesome and homey! We'll keep you updated!

1 comment:

Becky said...

Hi Laura, I don't know if you remember me from OOF but I've been following your blog a bit and I just wanted to tell you that we live in a suburb of Fort Worth so if you have any questions about the area, I would be happy to help you in any way that I can! Good luck with the move!