13 May 2011

So chic.

So Kasie and I took a couple hours off last weekend and went out for a little pampering. I decided to get a gel manicure to try to preserve the gorgeous nails pregnancy gifted to me. Somehow i always come out of pregnancy with beautiful nails and they slowly deteriorate once the baby is here.

I asked the manicurist what I could expect and she said that a gel mani lasts about two weeks. You can go gel acrylics or gels over your regular nails. Clearly, I chose the latter to preserve my vanity. I decided to do a sheer pink to keep it simple and ensure that they'd look matchy and summery.

It took about 40 minutes and by the time I stood up, they were rock hard and gorgeous! It's been a week and they're still absolutely perfect. I've banged my nails into all sorts of things, picked at random objects, dirty children and my husband's bad habits, washed dishes, worked outside (without straining my stiches, of course) and showered twice daily (postpartum, you know) without incident. They're still incredibly shiny and just beautiful. I'm not sure what to do about the growth, as they're getting longer and I like them a little shorter than this. I'm trying to just get used to it, and since they're still super strong, I'm just dealing with it and attempting to ignore them. I know I can file them if need be, but I don't want to mess them up, so I guess I'll just see what sort of growth I acquire in the next week. Mom and the boys will be visiting next weekend, but I may need to slip away to deal with these bad boys before they get too unruly! Maybe next Friday I can dash out for an hour and refresh them.

It was $28 at our local salon, and they did a fantastic job. Considering how quickly a basic mani disappears to the tune of $20, I think $30 every two weeks is a steal for the quality. I haven't picked at them once, because there's literally NO color to catch my attention or look funny. What I love is that the tiny places where my nails usually break as they gain length are still looking great and healthy. This is definitely a beauty splurge I can get behind. If you can manage to get those nails a little longer, run out and get them gelled to preserve the length without the work!

No comments: