05 October 2007

Today's the Day!

Well, today is setup day for the Apple Festival. We're picking up tables at noon, and then we're driving out there to get things all ready to go for tomorrow morning. I'm really excited, but I wish our family and friends were going to be there to cheer me on.
I know mostly everyone figures this is a stupid idea and I'm wasting my time, which is fine. I've gotten plenty of "Ummm...ok, well, good luck!"s in the past couple of months. But I've gotten just as many "Can I place an order?"s from total strangers, so I guess we'll see whose eyebrows are raised in the end.
And it's not really about believing it's going to succeed or fail. Neither Andrew nor myself care either way. I just wish a few people were taking the time to make the "horrible drive" to show support. Our parents come to visit, but that's about it. Andrew's mom will be here. I'm so glad, too. I'm really scared about doing this, and it means alot that she's driving out, even if she's going to be painting our apartment an hour away.
Andrew and I make a huge effort to make it downstate for every event and "happening" that involves our loved ones. It costs us about $80 in gas to make the trip, it totally throws off Lucy's schedule and screws her up for the entire following week, we have to drive at night so she sleeps, we sleep on air mattresses and couches and are completely exhausted by the time the weekend is over. But we do it, and we're so happy to. It IS a long drive, but it's worth it to us. We've missed a lot of events in Frostburg to be downstate, and have decided to forgo Lucy's first ever FSU Homecoming to be home for a very busy weekend at the end of the month. I don't really like to think about it, because I bought her that little FSU shirt before she was born. But we have 3 big family/friend things going on, and there will be other Homecomings. There will not be other housewarmings and baby showers, right? We've spent about every other weekend in the car for one thing or another this year.
We have had....3 events. Lucy's birth, which drew almost 15 people, Moving Day, which collected a grand total of 2 people and the Apple Festival, which will attract 1 family member from downstate.
Suzzy has been a staunch supporter of this whole thing, and would probably walk across the state to be here, which is why I'm going to make her the head of my Board of Directors when this thing finally takes off.
Mom is coming out next weekend, since she couldn't be here this weekend, and Lisa and Michael are coming out at the end of October, and I'm SO excited! It's going to be just beautiful out here, and Josiah will love all the fall stuff going on.
I don't know. I guess I shouldn't get upset about it, but sometimes it feels like people think crossing Sideling Hill is like flying across the country.
Ok, well, I have a car to pack, a lunch to make, a Suz to pick up, Tylenol to take, a nose to blow, a hubby to call, a Walmart trip to make, tables to pick up and courage to muster. Very busy.

7 comments:

Nina said...

I would come up this weekend but my baby is still glowing....I love you!

Kandi said...

I'll be there to help support you tomorrow. I need to by my new niece a cute T Party shirt :) I'll have to stop by to see Momma Cooke too. It's been way too long since I've seen her last. Can't wait to see you guys tomorrow. I bet Lucy's grown so much since I last saw her! :)

Anonymous said...

You'll do great! I'm thinking of you.

Kandi said...

I love the cute monster onesie I got for my niece. You do awesome work. It was good seeing you guys today.

Nina said...

i know i left another comment.....

Anonymous said...

We do hope your week-end went very well and that you had fun! You know we would have been there if could because we love to go to such things, especially when someone in the family is involved. We hope your little shirts were very popular and that you sold a bunch!! The picture we saw in your blog awhile back was very cute.
Talk to you soon!
Your ever-loving Grandparents H.

Anonymous said...

MC- high enough to make us thank god andrew has a buzz cut.
BP- way higher than expected.
SO- who wears outfits make out of straw?!
L- control your kids with discipline, not a cheerful monkey rope.
BO- NO, SHE'S NOT FOR SALE
baby kidnapping attempts- ONE IS ENOUGH! get the kid outta there!



lol, this weekend was tiring, but a blast! LOVE YOUUUUU!




-the suz