22 October 2009

Minnie Mouse - A Classic Case of Latrophobia.

Lucy was a little beast tonight and did NOT want to go to bed. I should have gotten after her and refused to play her toddler games, but I didn't. She was just so cute and had so many adorable reasons for seeing me just one more time.
  • She was hot
  • She was cold
  • She needed water
  • She needed a story
  • She needed her tutu
  • Her cup fell
  • Her book fell
  • Minnie Mouse was too hot
  • She needed Molly
  • She wanted to sleep in my bed
  • She wanted to sleep on the couch
The list goes oooooonnnn and ooooonnnnn...she's just so stinking cute.

Tonight we spent about two hours in a serious medical situation. Minnie Mouse needed a checkup and Dr. Lucy was on call, so it fell to her to help Minnie. (whom she referred to as "Daisy" several times - rotten bedside manner.) Her conversation with Minnie went something like this:
"Okay now....I need to listen to your heart....hold still...okay...gooooood girl! Good girl! Okay...hold still...goood! Good girl! Now you lie still for juuuust a minute...and there will be a little pinch." (This is a word-for-word play-by-play, mind you)
Nurse Mommy steps in and Dr. Lucy instructs me to "hold her wegs." (Sounding suspiciously like Nurse Tricia at the pedi's office) I hold Minnie/Daisy's wegs and Lucy pinches her mouse thigh, administering what can only be the H1N1 vaccine, as there is no shortage in imaginary land. Minnie is very brave and only cries for a minute. She is then rewarded with a pink stuffed dog to play with. It's roughly 4 times her size, but you do what you can to placate a sad and recently inoculated cartoon mouse.

Molly is doing well. She's pretty hardcore. I've learned recently, by close observation, that she doesn't chew. Anything. Spaghettios? Gulp. Graham crackers? Gulp. Chicken? Gulp. Lint? Gulp. Stickers? You get my drift. I'm vacuuming more than I ever thought possible and she's limited to small spaces otherwise. She's just so fast and so quiet. She's constantly getting herself stuck in, under or on top of things. I just can't move fast enough to keep up. She's going to be a frequent ER visitor, just as soon as I'm confident enough to let her out of her cage. The kid is just crazy. However, she has the most impish little smile and the cutest little cheeks. She's never going to get in trouble - she's just the most charming kid I've ever met. Lucy is breathtakingly beautiful and cute to the core, but Molly is 100% the most endearing little person I've ever seen. She just has her own way of doing things and she doesn't care if you like it or not. She's so matter-of-fact and steady. She still hasn't figured out how to cry to get me to come back into her room at night, and I doubt she will at all. She just doesn't manipulate or operate like that. She's patient and determined like Andrew, but forgiving and easygoing like me. She's just blissfully unaware that I'm out here waiting for her to cry out and will come in if she makes noise. It's so cute. She's transitioned to sleeping alone in her own room beautifully. She just does what needs doing, and that was what she needed to do. I love her. Such a perfect little baby.

No comments: