12 December 2009

Let's Talk About Death, Baby.

Molly and I took a shower last night and as I watched her cute little tooshie scooting around my extra-large shower, I thought to myself, "I hope I never miss a second of this fun little devil's life." She's just such a crazy little thing. I can't get enough of her trouble!

Of course, the thought that followed was, "I totally have to get our will in order. I can't stop taking care of her, ever."

Which I do. And I bet you do, too.

Did you know that 70% of adults die without wills?

Do you have a living will? A living trust? An executor? Guardians for your kids?

What happens if YOU die? What happens if your spouse dies? What if you're on life support? Does Dear Partner know when to let you go? Could you make the decisions if the situation were reversed? Would your in-laws feel the same as you?

These are real questions that need discussion, decisions and REAL, legal answers. People die all the time, and what's worse is that they die without leaving direction for the people who love them.

It's My Life and Legal Zoom are both great places to get started. It's hard to get the ball rolling when it comes to talking about death and dying, but as a young person, it's absolutely imperative that these decisions are made before your loved ones have to do it for you. Andrew says I should "pull the plug" nearly immediately, should something happen to him. I feel almost the opposite, should something happen to me. I'd want every experimental surgery, treatment and option available. I refuse to go without the biggest and baddest fight you've ever seen. So if Andrew didn't have those papers signed, how easy would it be for me to just let him go? Not easy at all, I'm sure. I'm sure our families would be 100% supportive of the decisions we'd need to make as a team, but grief does crazy things, doesn't it? We owe it to each other to be completely prepared. Smart Couples Finish Rich has a great section on trusts and wills. I've listed it in my store in the left-hand column, and given it as gifts to many of our friends. It's a fabulous newlywed gift, even if they don't realize it at the time!

What better gift to give to your spouse this season than the gift of clarity? What better gift to your children than the gift of security? What a fabulous New Year's resolution! Losing weight is fine, but straightening out your legal business is a huge weight off your shoulders.

Please take a few minutes this week to talk with your significant other about your future, be it together or alone. It's inexpensive now and could be very expensive later, both financially and emotionally. The holidays are a time of love, and if getting yourself together and prepared isn't an act of love, I don't know what is.

1 comment:

John said...

You should write ads for legal zoom and make a ton of doh!