11 July 2010

The Purple Room!

So my friend Erin sent me an email and she was all, "Hey Girl! How's life? We need to get together and play soon! Oh, and thanks for telling everyone on your blog that you're redecorating Lucy's room and then never showing anyone - we're super happy that you finished and are keeping it a complete secret. Talk to you soon!"

Okay, so maybe it was't worded exactly like that. But I totally got the gist and am going to do the right thing. (how BAD is my blogging lately?!?!)

So, without further ado, the Magical Purple Fairy Room. Lucy was adamant that her room be a beautiful shade of purple. but the thought of all that purple sort of made me tired. All that paiiiiiiinting....blech. (Jenny and Paul painted Addi's room and they totally stepped up. All 4 walls are purple. And they didn't splotch it onto the ceiling or anything. You may call me "One Wall Laura" from now on.)

 The carpet is actually white - not brown. The only thing I have left to do is sand and paint Lucy's little dresser that you can see in the left corner. But it's summer and no one wants to hang out in their 150-degree garage and inhale sawdust. 

The purple and white butterflies are from Target- I spraypainted half of them purple. (Because I'm mentally unstable when it comes to "sweet little details.") I also spraypainted the "L" and the "M." Hobby Lobby made me do it. 

The little purple table was a Salvation Army find that we sanded and painted to match the room. 
Now let me explain once more about the bed situation. We ordered gorgeous beds and everything, they got here, fake wood, all cracked and hideous, I freaked, they went back to the store, they offered me "real but more expensive" beds, I accused them of a bait and switch, we decided to wait until Molly isn't falling out of her bed and they're both sleeping well in big beds before we move into elevated sleeping arrangements. A nutshell. But hey, we have three GREAT mattresses now!

 We moved the kitchen (repainted and CUTE) into the closet so that we can lock away the plastic food and cooking utensils when we need to. It's working great for saving some space and the girls like the studio apartment feel! 

I made these cute little tutus to match the bedroom and boy did they come out cute! I made one for Addi's room too, since she's also doing the purple and green theme. Purple tutus for everyone! 
I may or may not have spraypainted this frame. I may or may not have a problem. 
This little picture hung in my room growing up, so it was really great to be able to put it in the girls' room. 


I know many of you remember this little cradle from my/our childhood. My great-grandpa Weaver made this for me when I was Molly's age, and I repainted it to match the girls' room. I left the bottom unpainted so you can see the message that Grandma Maggie put on the bottom with her red permanent marker. 

Giddyup!

This is above their closet- Mom sang this to Nina and I pretty much every hour from 1983 to 2001, so when I saw it on a sign, it had to come home with us. (Hobby Lobby- holla!) 

This is the other side of the room. We ignore it because it doesn't match the rest of the room yet. I still need purple curtains, blackout shades to replace the sleeping bag and a "something" for the wall next to the flower light. These flower lights were vetoed by Andrew at Ikea for general frivolity and ridiculousness. Imagine my delight when my friend Monica said, "Oh hey, I have these two flower lights...can you use them?" I'm pretty sure that he'll agree with me now that they're the best thing in the room! Lucy uses them every night for a nightlight and they're just awesome!

You may have noticed this little gem in the first couple of pictures. It still needs to be hung, but it's basically the best thing about the whole room. The girls' Aunt Lisa is an incredible artist and she made this sign for them while she was visiting. 

The Molly fairy makes me giggle every single time I look at it! If you'd like information on how to order a custom sign, leave me a comment and I'll email her info to you. She doesn't have a store up yet, which is a travesty. Tell you what. Let's all leave comments here and tell her that as soon as she opens a stinking Etsy store, we can get on with our lives and start buying hand-painted gifts for everyone we know. Lisa, I know you're reading this! She can paint just about ANYTHING. Wait til you see the growth chart she made for them. Also adorable. Also not listed on Etsy. I feel exclusive and snobby! 

Well, that's it. The Magical Purple Fairy Room. You can thank Erin for getting me motivated and reminding me! Up next, pictures of Molly wearing a glove as a shoe. Livin' on the edge, y'all.


2 comments:

Jess T. said...

Okay...LOVE, LOVE, LOVE the sign (and the room too!)...but, seriously, Lisa - open up an Etsy shop so that I can order some of these signs or hand painted goods, or whatever!!!! Did I mention how much I love the sign....? -jess

Erin said...

I LOVE IT!! SO darling...Thanks for sharing the pictures- the suspense was killing me :)