25 May 2009

Toying with better health?

I've always had a hunch that cow's milk might not be right for people to drink. Don't get me wrong - I LOVE milk. But it always felt a little strange to me that people drank milk from cows.
Andrew and I started talked today about the idea for going dairy-free for the girls. The more I research, the more Lucy fits the bill of a kid with major dairy and gluten sensitivity. We've known it's a possibility because it runs in the family. She has a big belly, circles under her eyes, was a fussy baby, spit up a lot, had trouble gaining, etc.
So I started Googling around and have come up with the choice of doing a gluten and dairy-free trial, or always wondering. I think I'd like to try it, but it seems so daunting. Molly's spitting up almost stopped completely when I stopped drinking milk. I've been less than diligent lately, and she's spitting up like crazy. Coincidence? Maybe. She also seems to be stuffy and phlegmy when I drink milk. I don't know. The idea of going gluten and dairy-free has been niggling at me for some time. More to come.

4 comments:

Katie E. said...

How interesting! Anything that's good for your kids can't be that scary to try. Let me know how it turns out...

Jessica said...

If you need any help finding dairy free foods for a toddler, let me know. Gabe has many food allergies, so we are experts at this point.

Also, if you don't want to completely get rid of milk you should look into raw milk as an alternative. Many people with intolerances and sensitivities to milk can tolerate it in it's raw form (kind of like the difference between giving a baby breastmilk that has been heated in the microwave, which kills all the good stuff vs. giving it to them straight from the breast). The Weston A Price foundation has a wealth of information about raw milk.

Lisa Marie said...

I think it's a great idea! It may seem daunting at first ...but i bet you could adapt quickly. And if it'll better the girls health and growth- I say go for it! Love you and hope you are all doing great. I can't believe about Utah... just crazy!! I'm sorry things kinda fell apart there, I'd miss you insanely but I was genuinely excited for your new adventure too :( Keep us posted! any new developments on that front? love you guys so much!!! we are SO happy you can come on June 6th and we'll see you then!!!

Sarah Jane said...

I know lots of gluten/dairy free families. Do you have a good organic store in town? If you do, it will be a lot easier. If not, just stock up when you go to your Mom's. If you switch to soy milk, I don't think you'll have a problem. Try the vanilla, it's great in cereal/coffee. Soy is so rich and smooth, it's an easy transition.
Also, there are a lot of gluten free products...a lot. Cookies, pancake and cake mix, crackers. You can use rice flower fairly easily. It will be easy. I'm supportive of your trial!
Good luck and keep me posted!

Sarah