30 March 2010

Easter Fun!

As Palm Sunday weekend snuck up on us, Jenny and I realized that we had been depriving the girls of spring crafts and excitement, so we decided to make Saturday a little bit of a project day. As I sought out crafts to do with toddlers, not much was jumping out at me. So I excluded the toddlers. Obviously.
I found this amazing and very clean (yay!) project on Martha Stewart.com and was thrilled to pieces. I ran out to Goodwill and bought ties. As soon as we got home, I set Jenny to tie-cutting and got everything ready. Let me add, you do NOT need a glass or enamel pot for this. (Who has those!?) You do, however, need a high-quality coated pot. Not just a metal pot. I have one that's coated with Teflon and it worked just fine. You just don't want a plain metal pot because the vinegar and the aluminum...oh I don't know. Just trust Martha and myself. Also, you can just do whatever you'd do to hard-boil an egg.
One final note. All ties are not silk. I know. I'm baffled too. We had to make Andrew touch them all and tell us what was what after our test egg came out...white. It turns out you really do need 100% silk fabric. Or a husband who knows more about fabric than you do. Whatever.
And the final product....







We also did a more kid-friendly craft. It was really a no-brainer. I saw a picture of these little bird's nests somewhere....sometime...I don't know. How hard is it to remember chow mein noodles, chocolate and candy eggs? The girls thought this was lots of fun, and they only lost a few chubby little egg-snatching fingers in the process.


Lucy and Daddy got the seeds going for Lucy's tomato plants. She was so excited! We did her peppers last week and she asks me several times a day to "check my pants." This can get confusing when you're potty training AND growing "pants."




4 comments:

Unknown said...

Wow! What a great blog entry. I watched the video of the egg dying. Really clever. Your eggs came out so beautiful!
Now.....the dresses. They are darling and so pretty. I am very proud of you. Grandpa loved them too.
There is no end to the different kinds of sewing you can do. I was never much on making clothes, but I loved cutting squares and putting quilts together. I'm sure you will get into sewing clothes for the girls. So challenging and satisfying.
CONGRATULATIONS and your latest projects. Love them!!
Love you and God bless. Have a wonderful and holy Easter.
Grandma and Grandpa H.

Jennifer Merkel said...

You guys are so busy!!I am wild about the eggs!!!

Unknown said...

Those eggs are so cool. Good ideas. Make sure Lucy's pants don't grow to much. Say hi for me.
Love,
Your youngest sister/Auntie Maddie

Marcia said...

Adorable crafts!! Thanks for sharing these ideas!