28 August 2011

Home. Really, really home.

I'm home after a weekend away with Claire, Charlotte and Raquel. We spent two fantastic days at the Fullness of Truth Conference in San Antonio. It was just wonderful, and I came home feeling refreshed and peaceful. There is nothing like surrounding myself with the love of Christ and the fellowship of the Holy Spirit in the midst of 1500 other true Catholics. The focus of the conference was the biblical basis of the Church and the ties of our faith to Jewish tradition and the Old Testament. I learned so much and returned to my dear husband so ready to tackle my vocation and jump back into our marriage with fresh eyes.

One of the most exciting parts of the weekend was learing that the Covenant of Love program is being made completely free to all parishes as of right now. I'm so excited I can hardly contain myself. I am so blessed and fortunate to be married to a man who really and truly understands what marriage is. Andrew puts himself aside for his marriage and family absolutely every day and I'm so acutely aware of how rare and precious that is. So many marriages are stretched thin and reaching for a life raft. The death of marriage in our society is ultimately what will bring our society to an ugly demise. Marriage isn't merely loving someone and being happy. It's so much more than that. When we love our spouses as Christ loves us, we minister 24 hours a day. A heart that's truly fostering Christ in the home will be a beacon to the entire world. A marriage full of selfless love and true giving produces children who are secure, generous and able to love without reservation. A light set on a hill cannot be hidden, and marriage should be just that. A bright, blinding light.

My mom said to me today that you can be married to absolutely anyone and be happy as long as you're both focused on Christ. She's so right, because when you're focused in the right direction, you have a clearer vision of what matters. It doesn't matter who you love, because when you're loving them as Christ loves His Church, you're not just living with a person. You're tending a soul. It's humbling to think like that, because it reminds me that if I were really loving Andrew as Christ loves Andrew, I wouldn't think twice about wiping down the bathroom sink after he shaved. I'd just wipe down the counter and remind myself that if the good Lord washed the feet of the Apostles, I could certainly clean the bathroom without grumbling. I wouldn't pout when he called me an hour later than usual to tell me he was on his way home. I'd just thank my lucky stars that I'm married to a man who provides so joyfully, enabling me to keep our home and mother our children. I wouldn't wonder why he didn't have the foresight to pack a lunch before he was walking out the door. I'd have it waiting for him as he left, a little love note on his napkin and my last two Oreos waiting for 1pm.

I have so far to go, even in the simplest tasks. The selfless and life-giving part of our marriage comes from Andrew. He's so giving and unfailing, always building up where others might tear down. In him I know that my failings are always forgiven and every day is new. In him I know that our marriage is strong and can weather whatever lies ahead. (Sound like someone else you know? I'll give you a hint. It rhymes with "sod.")

I am such a broken, flawed person, and he loves me anyway. If it weren't for my winning smile and great legs, I'd be doomed.

People, spend ten minutes today tending your marriage. Write your spouse a love letter. Make a nice dinner and buy a bottle of wine. Figure out a nice Tuesday gift for the one you love. Make your "have a nice day kiss" last a few seconds longer. Pinch a tooshie and share a wink. Say an extra prayer to be Christ to your spouse and the people in your life.

Your spouse will be thrilled. Your children will have a greater future. Society will flourish. Heaven will sing. We were put on this earth to love. So get out there and do it.

2 comments:

Jennifer Merkel said...

So inspiring. In my marriage, I am the one that has to play "catch-up".
Tim is the selfless and tireless one.
I love your thoughts.
The day-to-day life together is where we become sanctified.
I will keep the washing of the feet in mind when I have to do something that I don't really enjoy, for the ones it love.
We are so blest to have them!

Lisa Marie said...

this is possibly one of the greatest posts ever written. I love it, and I love you! This is so true of our marriage too... I don't know where Michael gets his endless patience and grace from. Ok well I do... but I'm surprised he can put up with me ;) You are an amazing wife and mother.
Love and prayers!!