28 August 2011

Stronger than ever. God Bless America and her children.

Molly, Lucy and I were viewing "best pix of the week". First, I'm just astonished at how much chaos, hate, destruction, etc there is in the world today. Yes, there were the sports pictures, cute animal pictures, exotic people/destination pictures too (that was my intent & target with the little ones) but I had to skip through so much... turmoil. Political, environmental, etc. We paused briefly on this picture (the rebuilding of tower/memorial in NYC @ Ground Zero)...


Lucy said, "What's that and why is that a best picture?" Before I could find words a tear rolled down my cheek and I stumbled to find words. She was sitting on my lap and Molly stood at my feet and listened attentively. I summarized with "About 10 years ago, airplanes ran into buildings in NY and DC and knocked them down." As I paused to reflect on 1) how on Earth to describe the events of 9/11 to the beautiful innocence of my little girl, 2) what level of detail could she even comprehend and 3) the fact I had some crazy deep emotions still behind that horrific day... She chimed in quickly with a "Looks like they're rebuilding it", she jumped off my lap and continued as she flexed her biceps and gritted her teeth like a pro-wrestler would, "and it's going to be stronger than ever!!"

I pinched her little biceps and said "Whoa. I hope the new buildings are as strong as you!" Her smile beamed from ear to ear. She jumped back on my lap. I discreetly wiped my cheek with my sleeve. We looked at a couple more pictures and hurried onto our next activity for the day, feeding the ducks at the lake! A new favorite for both girls. Molly, however, was heartbroken when there were no boats launching at the ramp today. She kept saying "Ducks happy. I want a boat! See a boat! Where the boats?"

1 comment:

The.Bell.Family said...

I recently too experienced something very similar- I was very surprised at the emotions I had while watching a documentary on TV about the building of the memorial. I am just so glad that those families and friends of the lost as well as Americans can now have a place to properly grieve and remember. - Amy B