22 August 2011

Dirty laundry and painted ladies.

Mm-hmm. I know you're interested now. Shaaaame on you!

Today was Day One of what I will call The Week of Intrepid Project-Doing.
Andrew and GrandPaul tackled the laundry room today and I am happy to report that they not only started what they set out to accomplish, but they finished it as well. They ran plumbing and some electric to one of our huge master closets to turn it into a laundry room. (Primarily because I was tired of doing laundry in the kitchen.) After working ALL day, the washer is ready to roll and the dryer just needs a 220v outlet installed. Andrew still has fetal-position flashbacks from the "220 Jolt of 2008," so we've opted to hire out that little detail. But seeing as it's 105 in the shade these days, it's actually no faster to dry the laundry in the dryer than it is to just hang them outside on the railing like I've been doing, effortlessly convincing our neighbors that they'll never sell their house while my unmentionables are waving to the passing golfers.

And what was I doing all day? Never one to be outdone by hard labor, I tackled the kitchen and have been working on resurfacing the cabinets with Rust-Oleum's Cabinet Transformations. The reviews on the website were great so I thought I'd give it a try. And whaddya know? The guy who said this would be a great "weekend project" was essentially right. If you've got Thanksgiving weekend free and can run the risk of being hopped up on No-Doz for 96 hours, then yes, it's the perfect weekend project! Most of the kitchen is currently in Step 2 and under 2-3 coats of this and that, and I've been working for a day and a half. I have 5 steps and about 3 more coats of that and this, so...I hope to have them done by Thanksgiving. But don't worry- I'll be taking a break tomorrow to finish up a root canal, so it's not like I'm missing all the fun summer has to offer!

Well, my darling girl is nursing as I type, but she's about to finish and I'll be expected to fetch warm towels and frozen grapes and massage her gently until she drifts into a peaceful slumber. Divas really do come in all sizes, and while mine's only demanding at night, it's enough to remind me never to go into show business.

No comments: