15 August 2011

Oh Monday, why me??

Today is seriously kicking my tail. I don't say that often, but today has really been handing it to me.

I spent the early part of the morning trying to move the girls' clothes into the closet in Claire's room. Basically, there is a very big closet between the two rooms and with so many clothes belonging to all three of them, it seems like a sensible switch. After giving it a try for awhile, I'm pretty sure that we're going to rearrange rooms very soon to put Claire in our room, the girls in Claire's room, and us in the girls' room. Our only real concern is that we have more furniture than we have space, so we may end up leaving a dresser behind. The girls are very excited about the switch and I'm going to have Aunt Lisa paint trees in their closet the next time she's down, to maximize the space for pretend play. (Hello? Walking through a forest? I would have killed for a forest between our bedrooms when I was four!)

So, the closet is huge and almost every inch is being used for clothes. Claire is already growing out of things too fast to keep up with the seasons, and now we're in trouble because the heat is just not letting up and I'm running out of hot-weather stuff. The good news is that she really only rotates between 5 outfits because I want her in "the cute stuff" anyway, so we have lots of onesies to get us through on our lying about the house days. As I was putting her too-small clothes over on the daybed to be packed up, I just thought, "Poor girl number 4..." (The thought of having a boy becomes more foreign every day...I don't know a lot of people who have a ton of girls. I do know a lot of people who have three or more boys, but I feel like all-girl families are a little more scarce. If our next is a boy, I'll seriously pass right out.)

Hanging all of the cold-weather clothes made me just ache for cooler weather. It was so wonderful having a rainy day over the weekend. We took the girls to the zoo on Saturday and had a blast. They have a baby monkey there and boy was that adorable. Looked just like Claire.

We spent yesterday doing house stuff - the list is just neverending. Andrew spent part of the day demolishing the bathroom wall and a doorframe to build me a laundry room. This is exceptionally thrilling as my washing machine is currently hooked up in the kitchen and I'm drying clothes on the rail outside the living room. It's terribly charming, but our neighbors are convinced that we're poor and unwilling to save our pennies for the necessary appliances. I HAVE a dryer. It's just sitting in my garage dreaming of better days.

I've got some Peach-Whiskey BBQ Chicken in the crockpot right now - I figured it would be easier to just put it there than try to pay attention to it in the oven. It smells DIVINE. Grandma Susie would just love this recipe, as she was a BBQ chicken freak like myself. Of course, the whiskey would have caused quite a stir as it would mean a trip to the liquor store and Grandpa hiccuping for far too long while he sang "Rye Whiskey." It might not have been worth the trouble for her...

I've been trying to get my house all clean and pretty for Andrew when he gets home. It's the least I can do. I swear, my children are actively trying to prevent me from looking like I accomplish anything around here. "What's that? Just did the laundry? Well I'm naked and my clothes are in a trail down the hall - enjoy!" "You just swept the floor? Well I just ate crackers in front of the kitchen sink! Great minds, you know..." "Is that a newly Febreezed couch? Hm, yes, well, I suppose I do need to pee. No, no, don't get up on my account. I'll just pee on the couch!" Motherhood = humility. And whiskey.

1 comment:

Lisa Marie said...

LOL.... you MUST write a book. Seriously. Just use one of your clever titles like, "The Sippy Cup Chronicles"... create a character based entirely off your life and use these hilarious little anecdotes as chapters. I just love it and I know every SAHM would!! haha. That's so how I feel about the kids. It's like, "what's that Mom? you just organized and put all the books on the shelf by age related material? Oh let me mess that up for you and throw them all over the floor.... and don't worry, I'll make sure to hide a few library books under the couch where you can't find them too... haha