27 March 2009

Update, y'all!

I'll post pics later, but for now, everyone is sleeping and I can actually type, so I'm going to make this as fast as possible.

Let's update, shall we?

Andrew: Andrew is sleeping. He had his tooth out this morning and was very brave. They gave him a truckload of pain pills. Seriously? I'm babying him today and have been running around cleaning the house and keeping the girls quiet. I think we might go out later and find something to do if he's feeling up to it.
School is going well, but he's having a disappointing semester. His capstone classes are far from challenging and are a huge waste of time, and it's upsetting to both of us that we've come this far and paid so much time and money only to find that FSU is under-par and mostly failing in the MBA program. He's getting through it, but the academic in him seems to really be mourning.
Work is good; they're keeping him busy and we're waiting to hear about a lot of things. With any luck things will continue to move along and we'll know something soon. He's working so hard and I'm so proud of the way he's balancing everything.

Lucy: She's such a nut. Her vocabulary is expanding by about 10-30 words a day and she's such a delight. She loves her little sister and is really doing everything she can to make Molly feel at home here. The toddler bed transition is going great and we're very proud of her. She's napping as I type this and I'm watching her eat something in her sleep. I mean, hands feeding herself and everything. This is hilarious.

Molly: Our little birds doing so well. She'll be one month old tomorrow and we're really starting to enjoy her more as she starts to get bigger and more expressive. Having a second baby is a little strange to us yet, but Molly is just so charming and sweet. She still has yet to do anything that resembles fussing, and I do mean that. Lucy was such a gruff little thing, and Molly just isn't ruffled by a thing. I was telling Mom this morning that I have absolutely no idea what soothes her because I haven't actually had to do that yet. Molly's just incredibly self-sufficient and secure. She sleeps at the right times, eats perfectly, only cries about every 4 days or so and is very alert and watchful. She's mastered nursing in the dark now and I don't even have to wake up to point her in the right direction.
Andrew and I can't wait for her to start smiling and responding more. The first few weeks of having a baby are always so strange. You wait and wait for this person to come out and charm you, and no one ever tells you that they really don't start doing that until later. Molly is still in the "baby lump" phase where she really just eats and sleeps, and when we look at Lucy with all of her tricks and craziness, it's hard to relate to both of them at once. I would say that adjusting to Molly has been 20 times easier than I expected, but I had forgotten how much new babies really don't do. I remember feeling this way right about now with Lucy, wondering when things would click and she'd truly feel like the baby we'd envisioned. I think she was about 6 or 8 weeks when she really started noticing us and feeling like "our" baby. What I'm loving about right now is that while Andrew and I are trying so hard to connect Molly to our life and we're searching for those things that make her "ours," Lucy has no idea that Molly is still a small stranger. She thinks that Molly just adores her. It's so cute watching her read to her, cook for her and talk to her and seeing Molly just sit there expressionless while Lucy feels nothing but love coming from her. I suppose that after cooking for plastic babies for so long, watching your sister punch herself in the face after she tastes your plastic corn must be very rewarding.

Laura: I am doing well. My recovery is going just swimmingly and I'm surprisingly much less hormonal that I was with Lucy. I guess I just have a better idea of how things should be going this time around. With Lucy I remember the baby blues hitting me hard right about this time, and with Molly, I'm just relieved that nothing's fallen apart at this point and that she has all of her limbs and major organs. Lucy keeps me busy and distracts me from feeling too nuts.
I can't wait to get out and exercise more. I took Maple out for a walk the other night and probably pushed myself too hard, but it felt so good to get out there! I can't wait to really start jogging and moving without feeling sore.
I'm adjusting well to having two kids instead of one. Getting everyone out of the house for errands was pretty intimidating at first, but it's getting easier as I get my system down better. We've done a couple of playdates and lots of shopping by now, and I'm still standing.
The nights are going well. We mostly have a system for most of the night, but things continue to fall apart right around 5am when everyone needs something all at once. What I need at 5am is sleep, but apparently the rest of the family needs milk at that time. No joke. Lucy wants cold milk, Molly wants my milk, Andrew wants to cry...it's bad. 5am is definitely the worst hour of the day in our home. But, we're managing. This too shall pass.

Well, Molly is grunting. If I don't get her now, she'll wake Lucy, who will howl and wake Andrew. And anyone who's ever nursed a husband back to health knows that a grown man in pain is always harder to care for than two children under two. :-) I love my babies, all three. :-)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

"I suppose that after cooking for plastic babies for so long, watching your sister punch herself in the face after she tastes your plastic corn must be very rewarding."

Laura, you always know how to put everything in the perfect words LOL

-Erin