31 March 2009

A Waste of Wit

I should write a book. What on earth would I write about?

You see, being a stay-at-home mom is awesome. It truly is. I love being able to play in my jammies until noon, make playdates, go out to lunch with my girls, meet up with Andrew in the middle of the day, browse the library, you name it. Staying at home is super fun, even on the bad days. (This positivity could even be likened to a Percocet haze at the moment. Blame it on the naptime happies.)
However, people ask me what I do and I stare at them as if to say, "Wait, I've misplaced my adult brain. I...uhhh....well...oh, that's right. I change diapers and read books in funny voices."
Wouldn't it be nice to say something intelligent like, "Well, I'm so fortunate to be able to stay at home with them during the days and work on my writing at night. I'm about to publish my second book and I really couldn't ask for a nicer situation." See? THAT sounds nice. It also sounds like I could carry on a normal conversation like the well-educated Mensa member I'm reputed to be.
I think I'll write a book. How does one go about writing a book? Am I more interested in writing a book than vegetable gardening? I'm not sure. I think I'll take a nap like the fortunate stay-at-home-mom I am and think it over later.

2 comments:

Katie E. said...

You SHOULD write a book. What do you write about? What you know, of course! You should write a Mommy's Survival Book. I think you'd be really good at penning a clever compilation of parenthood stories. Give it a shot - what have you got to loose? At worst, you have a nice little book of anecdotes to share with the girls when the get older, and that's not such a bad thing, is it?

Anonymous said...

I think it would be awesome if you wrote a book. I have been saying that for a long, long time. Both you and Nina are great writers. I also like Katie E.'s idea of a book for Moms about Moms. A fun book. The blog is just packed full of really good writing, so you are already on your way! But when you do write a book, do it as a fun addition to your life. Life is so full of awesome stuff and you are in the middle of living it right now!
Love you,
Grandma Susie