22 March 2009

Upgrade?

I've learned something recently. Apparently there are women out there who "upgrade" their engagement rings. I had no idea this sort of thing existed until rather recently. 
I'm sure people have all sorts of reasons for doing this, but I don't think it's something I'd ever do. My own engagement ring is a 1/3 carat. My wedding band has another 4 diamonds surrounding it. When Andrew bought it, he knew that my love for diamonds is far-reaching and obsessive. It is. I can't help myself. They're sparkly. He loves to surprise me with diamonds and I love how beautiful they make me feel on a Wednesday morning in my pajamas. However, that wasn't the motivation behind the ring shopping. 
I had nothing to do with the ring-buying process. I didn't even know he was shopping around. As the story goes, he told the jeweler that I wore a size four ring and that he wanted the perfect ring in yellow gold. When he gave it to me, it was the perfect ring in yellow gold. 
I'm told that the average ring size is between a half carat and 1 carat. I suppose this has a lot to do with your place in life when you go ring shopping and all of that. When I look at my ring, a bit smaller than the average size, I think of how far we've come. I think of our meager beginnings, our first tiny apartment, job hunting into the hours of the night and finding out we were expecting Lucy far before we were prepared. When I look at that ring, It reminds me of our small love and how it's grown into a beautiful and vibrant family. It reminds me that a small diamond in yellow gold sparkles more than any rock in platinum when the giver is generous and admiring and the receiver is madly in love. 
Would I upgrade? No, I really don't think I would. With what I already have, what on earth would I upgrade to?

4 comments:

SpunkyToes said...

What a sweet post. I also am one that would never think of upgrading my ring. Like you said - it represents your world at the moment your life changed.

Beautiful family and looks like you are all doing well. Hang in there - you will sleep soon!

Jessica said...

Completely in agreement.

My ring isn't what I would have picked out for myself, but it is perfect because I know my husband spent hours and days obsessing over what he thought was the perfect ring for me.

I'm too much of a sentimentalist to ever consider getting rid of it for something different.

Jessica said...

Oh, by the way, your ring is beautiful!

Traci said...

Beautiful! I know what you mean about never imagining an upgrade. The engagement and wedding rings have so much meaning. It isn't about the cost or size!