14 August 2010

So this is what they were talking about....

...until now, raising kids wasn't expensive. We've been very lucky to dodge any major medical mishaps, I breastfeed, we don't buy baby food, they don't go to daycare...our only real expense is goldfish and string cheese.

But the clothes....ugh. Lucy has finally started growing. Her clothes used to last for such a long time. All of a sudden, we can't keep her in anything. We took her shopping in June for a whole new summer wardrobe, knowing that she'll need it up through at least October here. EVERYTHING from that lot is too small, with the exception of two sundresses.

Yesterday there was a small mishap at Target and Molly threw away one of Lucy's shoes. We got to the car and I said, "Lucy, your shoe isn't here." Lucy replied, "No, I know. Molly threw it out of the sopping cart!" Yeah...thanks for letting me know when you SAW her do it. I guess this falls into our "I do Molly, you do you" category.

So she needed new sandals. However, soccer season is coming. So she needs new tennis shoes, as she grew out of her spring shoes, and we need to find tiny shin guards.

Just thinking about the things I know she needs off the top of my head...

T-shirts - 4 or 5
At least 3 pair of knit shorts
1 pair demin shorts, 1 pair khaki
A couple more dresses - she only has 2 right now
One more paid of sandals for church

Of course, once November hits, she's going to need long-sleeved shirts, jeans, longer pants and a pair of sturdier shoes for chucrch, as well as a winter jacket and a couple of jumpers or long-sleeved dresses for church.

She's just growing SO fast. I'm moving clothes into Molly's room faster than I can blink, and poor Molly is just up to her ears in dresses and sandals. On the other hand, I'm still going to need to do some shopping for Poppers, as they're going to overlap a bit on seasons and sizes. Once we get into the colder weather, I'm anticipating needing to find some long-sleeved shirts for her as well. And Lucy was in size 5's for her fall and winter shoes last year and Molly is in 5's right NOW, which means we're going to need to do some shoe-shopping as well.

I feel ill.

2 comments:

Lisa Marie said...

CONSIGNMENT SHOPS!!! I also have TONS of girls 18 month clothes, so Molly may be set depending on what you need. I'd ask around, Mary and other Aunts always seem to have stuff to share, or know people who do. I know so many big Catholic families, it's worth asking before you buy anything! So ask around at your Mom's group and things, they don't need much, just a few of each like you have listed. I bet you can get enough as donations OR like I said check second-hand stores! I know what you mean, Josiah's feet have been growing like crazy and I think this year and last year were the first we had to buy shoes. I thought, "this stuff is expensive!" haha. We didn't feel a budget tighten having kids until #3 came along, then it got TIGHT. :( hang in there, God provides.

Andrew & Laura said...

OH, how I would love to find great results on consignment. The shops down here are just impossible when it comes to getting things before everyone else does! I've been a few times and the easiest stuff to get is...you guess it...Molly's size! I'm going to keep trying, but they're SO tight on their seasons that I always end up getting there too late! L0(