09 November 2009

Cleanliness Is Next To Godliness.


I think I've decided not to send Lucy to preschool. I can't think of anything she needs less right now. Three-year-olds just don't need to spend that much time away from Mama, and she's being socialized and learning what she needs to learn. She's such a joy, and I'm just not convinced that she needs it. If you're confused about whether to send your own little cherubs, you might pick up a copy of Mommy, Teach Me! by Barbara Curtis. It's slowly bringing me around to the idea of preparing Lucy for kindergarten in the home instead.
Today I reached another turning point in my path as a homemaker. This is my job. This is what I've chosen to do and I need to do it well. Today I got dressed down to my shoes and donned my apron, and my mood changed. My sense of purpose was renewed and the whole house felt it. The girls were charged by my attitude change and had a happy morning toddling around behind a busy mom. I cleaned, vacuumed, scrubbed, folded and cooked. Lucy's attitude was diffused by seeing me bustle around, not waiting for the next tantrum. My house MUST be clean. It's essential. I try to keep it up well, but it seems like we keep moving into bigger houses, and it can get a little tiring trying to do it all. I don't expect Andrew to clean and cook any more than he expects me to write proposals and lead staff meetings. He does, of course. He's just that kind of guy. But when he gets home and I'm so close to shoving a child at him, I have to remember that he would rather have been doing something else, too. It's hard to remember that he's been working all day and putting out fires when you imagine that anywhere but with cranky kids must be paradise. It's not true, is it? So I don't expect him to come home and clean up spills and soothe children when he walks in the door. Our evenings are pretty even-steven, but if I can have the house clean BEFORE he arrives, our night is cleared for nothing but fun and playing with the kids.
"But kids don't care if your house is messy!" you might say. It's just not true. Children are so much more peaceful and content when your home is in order. They'd do it if they could, and they love to help. Having the toys put away and things in the right places helps a toddler's mind slow down and process things a little easier. They're usually confused and frustrated anyway - it's the age. Don't add to the frustration by making them step over piles of toys and clothes.
"But I'm a stay-at-home mom, not a maid!" you might say. Isn't mothering your children making sure they're clean, healthy and happy? Keep those counters wiped, the food put away and the clothes in a constant cycle. Teach them not only to wash their hands, but to wipe down the sink and bring their clothes to the hamper. Children are so happy when they know what to expect, and they thrive when their day is a series of steps.
On the weekends, I don't clean a thing. I just repair the damage on Mondays. You need a little chaos, I think. I also don't usually clean or organize anything on Wednesdays. We just hang out in our jammies and play with baby dolls. What a life. The girls have most of their toys in the living room, and they are almost always all over the floor. I just don't care. Once a day we take the time to put them all in the right bins and shelves, and twice a week I vacuum and dust. Otherwise, it's their place and we let them be. It's worked out well because Lucy really does understand that while we let her go crazy in the living room and her bedroom, the rest of the house belongs to the family and she has to treat it with care. She's a top-notch kid who's really learning how to respect people and their belongings, and it has to start at home.
Can you tell it's naptime? It's really my only me-time. Molly's morning nap time is Lucy's chance to watch tv, and then we all do our thing together until afternoon nap time. They've been such little angels today. I just can't believe how well Lucy's responding to her new little time-out bench. She's only had three time-outs and she's just been a dream today. Tomorrow is a new day, of course, but I have to celebrate today too, don't I?

3 comments:

Suzzy said...

i always tell people you're a domestic goddess, but you continue to amaze me. you're my inspiration, mrs cooke!

emily said...

You are such a prolific blogger! I enjoyed reading this post. I plan to not send Molly to preschool either. Where do you go to church?

reneetwigg said...

I couldn't agree with you more. I have taken on that philosophy too. Now when I worked ok...made sense...my time at home had to be split between choosing my house or kids...now I have time for both and I have noticed that when the house is clean I feel better, Shawn feels better and the boys definetely feel a lot better! Your such an inspiration and thanks for the tip months ago about getting dressed and putting your shoes on first thing in the morning...that has made a huge difference in my life!