17 November 2009

I am such a sucker.

This picture reduces me to a melty puddle of goo every time I look at it. I have it framed in Molly's room, and I can't get enough of this sweet picture.


Can you imagine how confused she must have been? The look on her face says, "This was totally not my plan for today." I have very few pictures of Lucy's birth, due to the stress and emergency surgery. It just wasn't the time for pictures. Molly's birth was so fun and joyful from beginning to end. We went into it knowing that whatever happened, we'd have a new baby at the end and that was all that mattered.

We took so many stupid pictures of our long day waiting for surgery, and I'm so glad we did. We all acted silly most of the day and Molly was born into laughter. If you know Molly today, you can tell. She's the jolliest, most accepting kid and I think I finally buy into the idea that the way you enter the world has an effect on the person you become.

When I look at this picture, I think back to 6 weeks of bonding with my mother-in-law, who is SO not a mother-in-law. She's way too awesome for that term. By the time Molly got out, we'd spent a great couple of months walking and talking and wishing that stubborn kid out, to no avail. When I look at this picture, I'm so glad that we made the choice to head downstate and be near our family.

When I look at this picture, I think of telling Lisa that her name was Molly. I can still hear Lisa talking to Molly as she was fresh out of me in the operating room.

When I look at this picture, I think of my recovery room packed with people talking too loud and violating visitor policy. I was all gooey on my pain meds and deliriously happy to be surrounded by the people I loved.

When I look at this picture, I think of a failed VBAC and an accepted diagnosis. I'm at peace knowing that a failed VBAC is just fine because I'm alive to mother this sweet baby. 100 years ago, it might not have been that simple.

When I look at this picture, I almost want another baby.

When I look at this picture, I can't believe this sweet, pudgy little girl is so healthy and perfect.

When I look at this picture, I see Andrew and I in her and I just swell with love.

I am such a sucker.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Such a nice entry to read as I start my day :)

Emily said...

When I look at this picture I think of the first time I saw Molly. I thought - Wow, she looks like Lisa! And Andy! And Mr. Paul! I also think, yea Laura Cooke definitely needs another baby... stat :] You're just so good at making them!