28 March 2011

Happydale.

This house is worse than the funny farm sometimes. You know those movies where one guy in the mental hospital gets riled up and suddenly everyone is screaming and yelling and running in circles? That's bedtime at our house. 

About an hour after we put the girls down, they had finally drifted off and we were watching The Fighter. (good movie, FYI) We hear Lucy whimper and call out for us. Knowing that's the 10pm potty call, Andrew jumps up and runs across the house. The potty call turns from routine to bed puddle by the time he reaches the door, or so Lucy thinks. In her hazy sleepy potty break, she's telling Andrew that the bed's wet. He's checking, promising it's dry, and she's passed out on the potty, getting mad at him. This wakes Molly up. Molly is a light sleeper, and while she always goes the distance time-wise, she's easily roused for middle of the night drama. She hears the word "pee" and is suddenly standing in her bed, holding her diaper with both hands and repeating "Pee pee? Pee pee? Pee pee?" over and over. Andrew is still dealing with Lucy. I'm telling Molly that she can go back to sleep, but she insists. Andrew dresses Lucy again and puts her back in bed, and grabs Mo, who does indeed have to go. I get her a new diaper and begin folding the towels I grabbed when I thought I needed them for Lucy. Andrew and I are both hysterical, trying not to wake the girls with our snorting and giggling. How this place goes from unconscious to three-ring circus in less than 30 seconds always escapes me. 



_~*~_ Elwood P. Dowd: I'd just put Ed Hickey into a taxi. Ed had been mixing his rye with his gin, and I just felt that he needed conveying. Well, anyway, I was walking down along the street and I heard this voice saying, "Good evening, Mr. Dowd." Well, I turned around and here was this big six-foot rabbit leaning up against a lamp-post. Well, I thought nothing of that because when you've lived in a town as long as I've lived in this one, you get used to the fact that everybody knows your name. And naturally I went over to chat with him. And he said to me... he said, "Ed Hickey was a little spiffed this evening, or could I be mistaken?" Well, of course, he was not mistaken. I think the world and all of Ed, but he was spiffed. Well, we talked like that for awhile and then I said to him, I said, "You have the advantage on me. You know my name and I don't know yours." And, and right back at me he said, "What name do you like?" Well, I didn't even have to think twice about that. Harvey's always been my favorite name. So I said to him, I said, "Harvey." And, uh, this is the interesting thing about the whole thing: He said, "What a coincidence. My name happens to be Harvey." _~*~_

No comments: