12 April 2009

Who I Am.

Molly and Lucy are both napping, so I thought I'd take a moment to post.

Last week was tough. Lucy is hitting the terrible twos with a vigor I never thought possible, Molly eats nonstop and I do not own a shirt that isn't stained. I was just missing the "real" world last week. I started reminiscing about working and doing big people things like going to movies and happy hour and sleeping in...thing I haven't done in a very, very, very long time.

I found a book at the library last week by Dr. Laura entitled In Praise of Stay-at-Home Moms. It's been just what I need to pick me up and get me through these last weeks of cabin fever. It's been nice to be reminded that I'm the heart and soul of my home and that I bring something to the table other than just keeping the kids alive.

I do not own a shirt that isn't stained. This is a true statement as of 12:30 today. My last one bit the dust. That's ok with me. My clothes are covered in little reminders that I'm needed. Little pink lollipop fingerprints, muddy toddler marks, bloody nose memories, paint from nursery decorating, spots from dinners I ate cold and lots of spit-up. Ohhhh...the spit-up.

I am needed. What's more, I'm becoming who I am by staying at home. When I worked, I was only part of the woman I was created to be. Women are so unique in that they're sensitive, sensual and nurturing beings, and many women don't realize what they possess until they're given the chance to exercise the entirety of who they have the potential to be. That realization can happen in a variety of ways, but for me it's motherhood and making my home. I've had the happiness of proving myself to others in the workplace. I was appreciated there, but I was expendable. Anyone with a job is. I did a good job, but I could always be replaced. Here in my home, I'm irreplaceable. In my daughters' eyes, no one can do it like Mama. No one can kiss boo-boos, tickle the right spot, wash hair the right way, word things in Lucy-speak, conduct time-outs with finesse, cut sandwiches, sing Raffi songs or wrap a towel around my chubby toddler the way I can. In Lucy and Molly's eyes no one will ever be able to do my job for me, and I've never had a boss or manager respond to me the way my family does.

So yeah, because I rock the cradle, I still rule the world. It's a small world with just two flights of stairs and a leaky roof at the moment, but it's mine. As I recover today from lots of chocolate, multiple Easter tantrums and and full day of a nursing baby, I'm happy to be the heart and soul of our old house, young family and happy home.

2 comments:

SpunkyToes said...

What a great post. Being "irreplaceable" is the best thing ever.

Lisa Marie said...

Thank you Laura, I've been meaning to post that for awhile now, when I read this post it was EXACTLY what I needed...sometimes it's very difficult to stay encouraged when stay home with little kids. I love it of course, but YOU know what I mean ;) Thanks again... love you girl!