17 February 2010

Refinished Business


So I had this vision...it was a whopper. I want to do the guest room in black, white and aqua. (Do we say turquoise now? Are they two different colors? Whatever)
Thankfully, I have a husband who trusts my visions. He's a peach.



I will not be painting the guest room, but you get the general idea when you see the colors I want to work with. A little splash of apple green, too. You know, elegant and perfectly lovely. Like me. (ha!)
So we started the project with...THE DRESSER. The dresser has been with us for ages now. It's heavy, damaged and not too pretty any more. (Mom C, I asked him if her was sure this would be okay- he assured me it was- please yell at HIM if he was wrong!)

Mmmm...dated furniture...


So it became part of my vision. I bought a sander and went to work. It turns out sanding was totally fun and I didn't screw it up once! (The sander also has my name Sharpied on it now. Hands off, honeybun! My love affair with the sander probably deserves its own post.)



(That's Andrew's hand. Mine are dainty. I wear a size 4 ring, you know.)




We sanded for the better part of 2 hours, but look at that pretty, clean dresser just waiting for a new coat of paint!


And then we set to painting. With oil-based paint. And two babies in the garage with us. Hey, when you have the vision, you just power through, people.


Look at the excitement on my face - I should do this full-time!


And there she is, all freshly painted with brand-new hardware and a sexy shine! I am so beyond proud of myself for learning to refinish an old piece of furniture. We couldn't for the life of us find hardware that would fit in the top drawer, so I improvised with some black grossgrain ribbon and some fancy knot-tying. Who knew dating so many Boy Scouts would come in handy so many years later? Monkey's Fist, anyone?



Yes, you may drool over my gorgeous new dresser. If I told you how many hours I've spent staring at it, you'd stop reading this blog.
Next up, we're searching high and low for a bed to put in the guest room. Baby steps!

3 comments:

CarolAnn said...

Looks great. Can't believe how big the girls are getting! I want to redo the boy's dressers, maybe you've inspired me.

Emily said...

SO SEXY. Like you :] My friend Jenn refinishes furniture. You may have seen some of her comments on my blog or facebook. I will give you her blog address if you want to search some of her projects. I'm sure she'd love to talk refinishing if you have question or want inspiration. She is the friend who inspired Carsen's room! Can't wait to see how the rest of that room comes together :]

G. said...

Looks awesome! I had the same problem with finding new hardware--I just spray painted the old brass hardware black.