05 April 2011

holding pattern, y'all

Well, we're now just sort of sitting around waiting to see if we're going to be the proud owners of our dream house or not. We've gone from adventurers to disnechanted renters, and I think we're ready to "settle down." The thought of settling down is hard for two gyspsies like Andrew and I. We love adventure and new homes and the fun of seeing what fits. So far, we've lived lots of places, met lots of neighbors and found lots of stories to tell. Each place we've lived has been so fun, regardless of whether we've rented or owned. That aside, we have a family now and we need to put down roots and give them a solid sense of ownership. That's tough for two people who really feel at home anywhere, but we're excited at the thought of creating a 10-year plan for our little piece of land and really turning from borrowers to owners. The girls are dying for pets, and we'd love the option to dig things up, kill the grass under the sandbox and put a swing in a tree for our giggling girls.
The house has been subjected to our offer, and we're in the midst of watching the realtors duke it out over the little things. We're both a little nervous, but hoping that God's hands are on this plan and that we've been put in this spot because it's all part of the master plan. We should know more by the morning, as the realtors have a late-night chat planned to talk about some more sticking points. I'm just trying to tell myself that if it doesn't work, it's because His timing truly is always perfect. I'm already in my forever home, and our housing is, of course, always separate from that.


In the meantime, our computer is actually 100% dead. My wonderful computer guy called today and said it IS fixable, but that the prices just keep going up and it's getting more complicated. We've opted to put our external drive to use and back up what we can, and then begin the hunt for a new computer. Just another stressor in the middle of an already tense week! So I think I'll start shopping around for a laptop, as they're far more portable and I really only use my computer for blogging, emailing and internet stuff. I'm really not prepared to spend the money on a new computer, as the house stuff is taking front seat, so I'm not going to rush it. I think I'll just figure out what we want/need and wait til I feel super comfortable with what we've got prepared for all the house stuff. If we do get this house, we're looking at a major painting/ceiling scraping job right off the bat, and painters in this area are busy and well-paid! So that will come first, and my iPhone can certainly take up the slack while I figure out the computer stuff. When I consider how well I've done just using my phone for the past week, I'm actually not even really stressed over the computer. I really haven't noticed it being gone! I'm using Andrew's work laptop to type right now, which is REALLY nice, I must admit...I do love the keyboard. But, a new laptop really isn't on my list of must-do's when I'm 4 weeks from a c-section and 5 weeks from a new house. One thing at a time, right? I think we'll just consider that my Mother's Day/Birthday gift, even though Andrew will balk at the thought of giving me a "need" for a special occasion. SIlly boy. I'll do my best to twist his arm and make him proud of the sensible girl he married. 
Let's see...that's really about all that's happening around here. I'm sorry we haven't been better about blogging some pictures and videos, but it's very hard to plug the cameras in to air. With any luck we'll find a way to get you something more visually pleasing soon! :-) 
Well, I'm off to visit with Mr. Wonderful and figure out my computer-buying plan. We just rescued Molly from a paper butterfly in her bed, so it looks like things will be winding down

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Good luck with your house/computer search. My laptop was more or less dead last month... and I ended up closing on my house and then going to buy a new laptop right after!
~Kandi