20 March 2007

The Idle Browser Is The Devil's Playground.

I was going to start a long blog, but I keep feeling a little foot poking straight out of my belly, and I think I'm getting a "feed me or suffer the consequences" vibe from Her Royal Highness...back in a minute.

I'm back. Looks like the Lucky Charms worked. For the time being, anyway.

Well, we made an important decision last night. We decided that short of getting rid of out Internet altogether, the second best thing we can do is cut back to email, news, the blog and weather. The Internet and its "entertainment" is wasting our lives, to put it simply. How much time are we wasting in the evenings and weekends, by surfing the net and finding our entertainment there instead of real life? Plenty, I think. So, we're limiting ourselves to little or no Internet, except for basic needs. We do want to be able to get news quickly and email the people we care about, but other than that, what purpose is it serving? Last night we turned off the computer and watched "Dancing With The Stars" together. It's a stupid show, but we sat and cuddled and ate ice cream, and we were together. We're determined that Lucy isn't going to remember her childhood as one parent playing with her and the other on the computer. We have an active, vibrant family, and we want to keep it that way.

That said, I will now update you on our weekend. We had a GREAT weekend. We spent Friday night eating Chinese with Suz and her mom, and slept til 10 on Saturday. We went out for our weekend drive and spent 4 hours in WV looking at houses. I love our drives. We met up with our realtor, who is a riot. He invited us up to his church for a bean soup dinner. We'd had other plans, or I think we would have taken him up on it. This area is full of interesting characters. We went inside one house, which was on a HUGE lot in New Creek, but the house....ai yi yi...it was VERY large, with 5 bedrooms, a giant kitchen, etc. But it would need about $30k worth of work to turn it into "our home." I think it's still under consideration, but it's on the low end. New Creek is nice. I think we're going to try to get back into Louisiana Avenue this week or next. It's really in an amazing location, and it a really cool house, but it would really need about $20k in improvements. It may actually be worth it, we think. So we're going to get a second look. It just keeps popping up in our searches; maybe God is trying to tell us something. :-)
On Saturday night, we ordered cheesesteaks from Gianni's and watched Titanic. We hadn't seen it since high school, so it was fun. LOL, we were sitting there all sucked in to the movie, and Jack said something to Rose about the nickelodeon. My sweet hubby, who very rarely says anything without thinking, says, "They had that channel then? Wow." I died. He's a gem.
On Sunday, we slept in again, and then went to Mass at Cook Chapel. We ended up going to the computer lab. We went home around 4, and realized we hadn't eaten since 9. Andrew made me waffles, and I ran a bath so I could relax and read my books for awhile. Then he decided to cook. Now, anyone who's reading this had probably heard about Andrew's previous attempts at cooking. This one may have topped them all.
He gets all excited and jumps around and runs in circles for a few minutes, and then settles in to cook. This is my cue to get OUT. I see him putting pizza rolls on a cookie sheet, which I know he can handle. Then he declares, "Oh, but this is only the beginning." As he pulls out a pan and the eggs, I'm running to the bathroom with my eyes closed, pretending he's not about to mix eggs and pizza. He yells to me, "I'll take pictures!" Lol, ok....
So I hear him clattering around in the kitchen for about a half hour, and then he fairly screams, "Where's the camera?!?!," followed by "Do we have any salsa???" At this point I feel like I'm in an alternate dimension, but continue to indulge him, because I want to encourage his independence and creativity in the kitchen.
Pretty soon, he's knocking at the bathroom door, yelling, "Are you ready for this???" I was not.
He lowers his plate down so I can see it, and it is UNIQUE.
It's what look like an omlette, but with pizza rolls spilling out of it. It has cheddar cheese on top, and the plate is garnished with apples slices. He puffs up his chest very proudly and announces, "I call it 'Pizza In, Pizza Out'." So endearing and sweet. He likes to name new dishes. So he ran off to eat his new creation, and I settle back into my bath. He later admitted it wasn't his greatest creation, but it was still a turning point in culinary history. He also wrote a recipe, which can be furnished upon request. I love that guy.
We spent the rest of the night relaxing and just watching tv and yakking.
My car has a giant oil leak, and no one called about it this weekend. Sigh. I can't take this anymore. Pics to follow.

2 comments:

Jennifer Merkel said...

Wow! Where to begin? Your husband is onto something there! Really though, that is a BEAUTIFUL omlette. (I always hear Tracy Lord when I try to spell that.:)
I have to wonder if there might not be a still tucked back behind the little "bungalow" in WVA.
It is beautiful up there and your pictures are great! I can't wait to come up an do some exploring! Well, when it's warm.
Yeah, the "compound" is pretty impressive.

Anonymous said...

For those genuinely interested in Pizza In Pizza Out - please let me know. It really was good! It wasn't the quality that I did not like, it was the quantity! That plate though was enough to feed all of Africa!

But yes, I took one for the team & ate it all. I'm so noble.

Love the blog. Love this place. It's addicting & my wife's "da bomb" (do people still say that anymore???)