17 May 2007

Breast is Best???

Lucy is trying to nap on the couch, so I am going to try to post a blog. This one's about breastfeeding. I am exclusively breastfeeding, and Lucy has yet to experience a bottle or a pacifier. I am told that breastfeeding is a highly connective and rewarding experience. I am also told that climbing Kilimanjaro is rewarding.
I chose to breastfeed for many reasons.
  • It's free
  • It's the best thing you can give your baby
  • It's good for your baby's mental state and emotional well-being
  • It's free
  • It's uncomplicated and very accessible
  • It's a highly romanticized experience, and all the pictures look very beautiful.
  • Breastfed babies smell better than formula babies (it's true. sue me.)
  • The baby weight comes off faster- 8 pounds to go, but that is probably because I can't remember to eat anymore.

So far, I think Lucy and I have had a very good go at it. She is a good latcher and has caught on quickly, and I haven't bled yet, so I think we're doing ok. I only spent the first week sobbing, and the second week has been reduced to teary whimpers. And I thought the bad pain would be over with delivery.

Lucy's mental state and emotional well-being seem very good. However, she has no idea if it's day or night, and her expertise in this subject isn't very evident, considering the way she comes up for air like a Malaysian pearl diver.

The pictures do make breastfeeding look far simpler than it is. They don't show the baby screaming and throwing her head back in anger, and they don't show the mother covered in ice packs or trying to shower without standing in the spray of the water.

However, even after all of that, it's still free. This is a big bonus. And, I can pull her off her nest at night and she's eating within seconds. I would hate the nighttime even more if I had to get up and make a bottle. And her burps don't stink, which makes her so much cuter.

After all is said and done, it's a harrowing experience, and I think that it takes a lot of patience and pain, but it's well worth it. Looking down and seeing her little profile is so sweet. I didn't want to stop being pregnant, because she and I had such a special bond, but breastfeeding brings it back, knowing that I can still provide the only thing she needs. (And it's gratifying when she's fussy, because all babies have that "You did this to me" face, and I can think, "Cry away honey; you still need me.")

Well, I need to eat breakfast. I am starving, and I'm running out of time. Lucy is having a half-nap, and I doubt I'll be able to horse down an entire bowl of cereal. Oh well- at least you only need to hold one spoon while you eat. We have lots to do today, but I'll try to post pictures later!

1 comment:

April said...

I am going to go eat easy mac and pretend that I am not terrified by what lies ahead of me.