21 May 2007

Clinging To My Marriage

It's funny how a baby can unravel an entire household so easily. Lucy is so small, but she's such a big person. She's a very strong-willed little girl, and she's very willing to voice her opinion on just about anything. But she's also a little ham, and she's already trying so hard to laugh. She has a very cute little smile, and is very willing to show it.
On the other hand, she's a little stranger in the house. They say the first two weeks are the hardest. We have two days to go, and it's true that each day gets a little easier. Nursing has taken a very good turn and we're both enjoying it now, regardless of the fact that I produce enough milk to nurse the entire island of Jamaica.
The past two weeks have been exhausting and trying, and have reduced both Andrew and I to tears over this and that, but Lucy is such a precious little thing, and we love her so much. It's hard to feel sorry for yourself and your lack of sleep when the reward is so great.
Our marriage has grown in such an amazing way in the past 10 months, but the past three weeks have been our strongest by far. When Lucy was born, we sobbed with joy over her big cry. When my body was just screaming for relief in recovery, Andrew was right there with a big smile, reminding me of what I'd just done. When I couldn't take another second of breastfeeding, he made me try one more time, and then one more time after that. When she just won't settle down at night and I'm delirious with exhaustion, he whispers to both of us until we're peaceful again. We've been on a rollercoaster of emotion and activity and strange new things, and I don't think we'd be smiling as big without each other to cling to. Andrew is a tower of peace and quiet in the middle of all of this, and he is such an amazing partner to have. I don't think we've ever been this tired and overwhelmed, and that the same time, we've never been this in love. Life is good, and God is always so generous with His gifts.
This doesn't mean I'll stop hoping my little gift will sleep through the night.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

This is lovely, Laura and Andrew. You are just at the beginning of your friendship and love for one another. You have much to look forward to as the years go by. Do God's will, and there will be many graces given to you and your family.
So happy to hear things are leveling off now. Lucy will soon be sleeping during the night and you will hardly remember the "tired days".
My goodness, that little girl is so pretty!
Love you,
Grandma Susie