09 October 2008

Mission Accomplished.

I'm sure the horror of the Great White Dove Cookie Kerfuffle of 2007 still leave a raw spot for most of us who witnessed it. At Lucy's baptism I, with the help of Nina and Andrew, made a batch of royal icing cookies. They were gone in the first ten minutes of the party. I will be the first to admit that it's not so much the taste that people like as the novelty of fun-looking cookies with brightly-colored icing.
The truth is, they take two days to make and another day to get hard before they're ready to be eaten. I enjoy making them, but they're a huge undertaking. I suppose the same could be said about babies. :-)
So, Lucy and I embarked on an adventure to make leaf cookies today, for Saturday's party. I gave Lucy a cookie cutter and a bagel and she happily stabbed the bagel to death while I toiled.
But, the cookies are BAKED! Tomorrow, Andrew and I will clear out the entire dining room to ice them. That take both of us and a lot of cursing. He will ask me why I continue to make them and I will reply, "Because it's all I've got to impress people with." (Which is not entirely true. I also impress people with my wit and beauty.) He will grumble and I will promise him that someday I'll allow him to sleep in for all of his hard work.
In the meantime, I have to rescue the bagel-killer from her bed. Apparently it's not naptime yet.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

LOVED the latest blog entries. Lucy Girl is definitely one of the most loved little gals in Maryland. Lilly is the other one! We hope both Lucy and Lilly have fun being cute at the party tomorrow.
We hope the House Warming party is tons of fun. We will really look forward to seeing some pictures.
We are going to Neah Bay tomorrow. Josh and Matt have a football game and we sure hope their team wins.
Please pray for the repose of Uncle Elmer's soul. I'm sure by now you know he passed away.
'Bye, and keep on keep'n on enjoying life!
Love you, Grandma & Grandpa H.