30 October 2008

Why I Love Red Hair

Redheads are kind of like cult comedies to me. Everyone has to look and everyone has their own reason for loving them.
Why do I love my red head?

  • I love that people can't keep their hands off her pigtails. Most people cringe when they think of people touching their kid, but Lucy's little curly red pigtails just entrance people and it's so fun to watch them bounce her hair and laugh. Elderly people touch her pigtails like they have some kind of healing property and they always say, "Oh that red hair..."
  • The connections with other moms of redheads. There is nothing more calming than seeing another mom with a redhead in tow who is also screaming and yelling and attracting attention. There are very few red-haired children in our area, so people tend to remember them a little too well. It's nice to run into those other moms once in awhile.
  • I love that everyone knows Lucy. Andrew and I take her out separately and Andrew is a big talker like myself. He also wants her to know people in the community, so he's always taking her to some strange place and letting her visit. Because of this, a lot of people will pass her and say, "Hi Lucy! How are you doing?" and she just runs up to them like they're family. They always have some story about meeting Lucy and her Daddy out on Main Street one day. I also get the, "You look familiar, but I've definitely met Lucy."
  • The stories. Everyone has a redhead in their life. Older people always smile and tell me about a redhead they love, cashiers tell me about their baby who just happened to be a redhead, grown-up redheads will tell me story about how they used to hate their hair, the list just goes on and on.
  • The Question. "Where did she get that red hair from??" Obviously someone in our family has red hair. Isn't that enough?
  • Red hair is an excuse for your child to melt down pretty much anywhere. I do like this one. Lucy is usually very easy-going. However, when I've been out too long, she gets antsy like any kids and starts trying all of her tricks. Because of her red hair, I've never gotten a "why can't you control your kid?" glance. I expect her to behave 99% of the time, but it's nice to have a Get Out Of Jail Free card.
Well, Big Red is done with her Rice Crispies and we have yet another Halloween engagement to get to. I had no idea Halloween was so big in this area until I became the mother of a toddler. Lucy will be donning her kittycat costume for the 3rd time this week. I took the Woolite Pod to it this morning to get some of the lollipop spots off the front. Hopefully we can hold off on entire load of laundry until we actually have one to do!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

What a really great blog entry! Love it. And we love red hair, too. Especially on our three red-headed "grands", Lucy being the youngest.
Sounds like you all are having lots of fun lately. Give us a call one of these days when you have a few spare minutes so we can have a nice phone chat. Miss all of you and love you.
Grandma and Grandpa H.