25 November 2008

"Tired" isn't just another four-letter word.

As I type this, Lucy is attempting to nap after a very, very bad day yesterday. She was not going to nap without me and bedtime was the same story. This morning I woke up feeling just hopeless. She went into her bed with a small fuss and I'm hearing whines and howls here and there, but this must be progress. I'm not hearing the horrible screaming I heard last night. I'm just so tired of the sleep problems. As if a girl in her third trimester doesn't have enough sleep issues of her own.
I've heard about the 18-month sleep regression and I'm sure that has something to do with this. On top of that, she was cutting one giant molar last night, so I'm sure that was her focus. This morning I gave her some Motrin and I'm hoping she can manage to get to sleep on her own. I'm a little bit lost on where to go from here otherwise. She throws everything out of her crib and then wails for me to come back and pick it up. I took a lot of stuff out so that she has less to throw, but I'm still hearing things dropping, so it looks like we're going to be cutting back to an empty crib in very short order. I don't know what else to do at this point.
Andrew is at work today. I thought he was going to take tomorrow off, but it sounds like he'll be working at least a half-day, so I'm going to need to do my cleaning tonight, I guess. I also need to go through the house and check out my Thanksgiving food supply and make sure everything is still in order for that. There is a very good chance we could have eaten some of it by now. :-)
Well, I'm off to say a prayer.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh Laura,

I feel for you...I remember all too vividly when Meghan was about a year and Maddie was two months away from her grand entrance.

It feels hopeless sometimes and you wonder why you ever wanted kids in the first place.

But you know what? We have all been there done that and you will look back and it won't seem so bad.

I wouldn't put anything in Lucy's crib if all she is doing is throwing it all out. Don't come in and pick it all up. She has you trained.

Be firm. Be consistent. Follow through with your discipline. If you are wishy washy she will figure you out. Kids are smart.

But, just relax. Life goes on.

She probably knows life is about to change and she feels in control now with how she can change it.

Hopefully the Thanksgiving card reached your home....wish we could spend it with you. Maybe someday.

We love and miss you all.

Take Care,
Tammy

Laughter is an instant vacations (Milton Berle) said...

I agree to not put anything in the crib, so she has nothing to toss out. But I also understand the need to keep her entertained to give you a break! Get a few of those retractable key chains, secure the keychain end to her crib & use the key-hoop to secure to her toy. That way, toys are able to be played with, they don't make it far out of her crib *and she'll figure out how to fish them back in herself* and no choking hazard.