05 November 2008

A Breakthrough!

We've been having some trouble with Maple lately, in that her Akita/Saint Bernard side makes her VERY strong and very aggressive toward strangers. We've been having the hardest time walking her, because she lunges, pulls, growls, snarls, you name it. I haven't been able to walk her during the day because she has the strength of a Grizzly and I can't walk Lucy and Maple at the same time!

Last night took her out and she was a nightmare. I was really upset about it, the more I thought about the fact that I just can't afford to be walking a dog that could potentially hurt someone. I bought her a comfort guide harness, and it kept slipping off, so I told Andrew I'd return it and get a different one.

Today we didn't have much to do, so I thought I'd return the harness today. I decided to give it one last look before I put it in the car. Once I realized that Andrew and I missed a step, I bundled Lucy up and went outside to find Maple. I put it on and decided to throw Lu in the stroller and fill my pockets with treats for a "trial run."

Maple did AWESOME. She pulled a little, but the Comfort Guide solved ALL of our problems. We met a lady on the street, so I pulled maple into a church walkway as I saw her coming and made her sit. the lady knew just what I was doing so she stopped and chatted so that maple would have to sit still. maple only pulled a few times and earned a treat!

We also ran into a black lab in his yard without a leash - he's an old dog and doesn't care about anything, so I knew he'd be a good test. Maple freaked, but we got by without more than two bark and a couple of pulls. I am SO proud of our aggressive puppy! She was a dream to walk and had a blast when I let her chase some leaves as a reward. She sat like a perfect lady at every intersection and was incredibly compliant.

I'm so glad I checked the instructions with the harness a second time!

2 comments:

Kandi said...

I'm glad that's working out for you. If not, I was going to suggest a head collar. I got one for Delilah when she was a pup and it really does work. I don't use it too often on her, but I did use it last week when I took her to Petsmart and she was sooo much easier to control. Usually she pulls me all over Petsmart trying to get at any random food that's been spilled.

Kandi said...

Oh, and maybe Delilah and Maple can meet when I'm in town for Thanskgiving?