18 February 2009

Sisterly Love

I am so in love with my LucyCakes. We just got out of the hot tub. It started snowing while we were in there and we just sat in silence, listening to the snow hit the holly trees next to the hot tub. She loves to sit and think, and we had such a nice, quiet time just watching the "no" hit the ground. It's one of the only times she sits still long enough for me to just stare and her and think about how far we've come.
It makes me a little bit sad to be giving up our special time together, but so excited to be giving Lucy a sister. Sisterly love is so different and strange and trying and perfect - every little girl deserves to have a companion to grow into adulthood with. Nina and I have had our differences through the years, because we're two separate people and you really can't choose your relatives. They're not bad differences, just sister things. But we can rely on each other to hold our memories in two minds that think and feel differently, and that's so special. There really is no relationship in the world like the one you share with a sister. I don't see Nina nearly as much as I'd like to, since we live so far apart, but we get together whenever we can and it's so weird to see how Lucy understands who Nina is. I guess it's the voice and the mannerisms and the way we interact, but Lucy has never showed an ounce of hesitation with Nina the way she does with other people. I can't wait to watch Lucy and Little Sister grow together. They'll need each other in so many different ways and my only goal for them is that they continue to rely on each other and grow to love each other in the same intense and strange bond that every sister in the world feels.
Today Mom and the boys are going to come up to hang out in the area for a bit, and then I have a reflexology appointment to convince Little Sister to come out and visit. I do want to go into labor, but I'm not rushing. I need my time with Lucy. I'm enjoying her too much these days to try to rush anything.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dude, I like being your sister. I cant wait to meet 9wow!!! I want you to move next door. k?

SpunkyToes said...

What a great post!!! I myself have a twin sister and I know how special that makes life. Lucy will be an awesome big sister!