01 June 2009

Gluten-Free: Day 1

Well, it's June 1st, y'all. G-Day, if you will. We had a little talk yesterday and decided that the whole family will be going gluten free and I will be doing dairy free, since what I eat is what Molly eats. Lucy is no longer drinking cow's milk in such large quantities, but I'm not going to freak out over dairy here and there. She's doing rice milk in her sippy cups and I'm just not going to worry about cheese and yogurt and stuff here and there for her. Molly and I are the ones who need to be away from dairy and I can do that myself without restricting the rest of the family. As my menu repertoire expands and I'm more comfortable with what I'm offering, I can cut the rest of the family back here and there on their dairy. I think that Molly will also do rice milk or soy milk when she starts to wean, as well. And honestly, if Mama's not eating dairy, it's unlikely that the rest of the house will be eating a lot of it.
Gluten free eating really isn't hard- it's just a matter of clearing out your house and knowing what's what. I went shopping last night and I think I did a pretty decent job, but there's a learning curve. I'm just trying to get the old stuff out of the house and see how it goes. I'm going to give it 12 weeks and see how we're all feeling. If there's a marked difference, the diet stays.
Andrew is taking leftovers from last week for lunch today, so he's not totally on the bandwagon, but Lucy and I are are doing a full day! Lucy did grapes, apples and bananas for breakfast, and she ate a few of my hashbrowns. Andrew and I did eggs and hashbrowns. I think I'm going to do a spinach salad for lunch with hard-boiled eggs, crumbled bacon and honey mustard. Yum! Dinner tonight will be pepper steak over rice in the crockpot. Since we forgot a car at the park-n-ride last night, dinner can cook while we run down to get it after Andrew gets home. :-)

1 comment:

Katie E. said...

How do you forget a car?

Your meal plan sounds delicious! When can I come over??